MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Students have no energy 
MES-Member

Post Students have no energy
:cry: Hi,
I'm here to say my problem and I hope to solve this problem.

I have small group of students.
The problem is they don't have any energy.
They don't think Studying english is fun.
and they don't concentrate and not powerful

I was worried about teaching way of my lesson
OK. I have another class with small group of students.
They have lots of energy. When they have to say the answer, they almost shout it(not actuallybut loudly.)

They are totally opposite. How can I make the desperate class alive and the too active class quiter?

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:57 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Well, it's true that every class has its own unique 'energy'. You can observe it by having the same class with different groups and it never goes in the same way.
What I do myself is to try to balance their energy by behaving and acting the opposite. This means that with hyperactive students I stay calm, keep my voice quiet and soft (the louder they are, the more guiet i speak) and use a specific signal when i want them to be quiet (could be 'shhh', a bell or something like that). I also avoid over-stirring activities.
On the other hand, with quiet students I always try to be very energetic (really ENERGETIC) and praise them a lot when they finally do something (WOW, lol, works miracles).
In both cases you really need to work on your confidence and assertiveness to make them realise that it is YOU not them to decide and say the last word.
I work with kids, the kids are quite easy to 'manipulate' (sorry for the word ;) ) and i know its more difficult with grown-ups or half-grown-ups, but the rule is , i think, the same.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]