MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
[LESSON PLAN] Teaching language through values! 
MES-Member

Post [LESSON PLAN] Teaching language through values!
I want to teach my 14-years old students adverbs of frequency and routines and the context would be child Labor in the Industrial Revolution and Children's rights... what do you think? is correct the content for 14years-old kids? I think is better teach language and content at the same time, so i thought that it was a good idea... i also want make them aware of their rights...and i also would like you to suggest me a GAME for this lesson! thank u

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:21 am
MES-Zealot!

In Social Studies classes we teach about child labour and rights to that age group. It is great to build awareness of issues in class, unfortunately my students don`t have the language required to discuss issues and so we would be paying them lipservice without using their first language

There are plenty of examples of roleplays based around children working if you search for them. You may find the United Nations declaration of human rights difficult but there are simpler childrens versions if you look for them. I have also used activities based around production line technology building cars (made of paper parts) and making things individually. You can use a simple compare contrast template to direct their ideas. depends how much time you want to use.

Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:04 pm
MES-Zealot!

One problem you might have is that you will also need to be able to talk about how things were in the past, which involves pretty heavy use of the past tenses and other grammar structures. You may want to teach about children's rights when you are using the grammar can/can't must/must not should/ should not, etc... Like one of Mark's projects that involves rules... maybe perfect park, if I remember.

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Afortunately, the lesson was a success, my students were very engaged with the topic and they really wanted to learn about those times.
I am very glad because i think i build awareness in class :)
I like teaching not only grammar, but content. ok thank you.

Best wishes :)

Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]