MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
teaching sports vocabulary and present continuous 
MES-Member

Post teaching sports vocabulary and present continuous
Hello! I've started to work as a teacher very recently and i have doubts about how to prepare my lesson plans... my students are 12 years and for next class i'm planning to teach sports and the verbs that collocates with them (play/go/do) and and then have my students apply the vocabulary to the present continuous... what lesson plan do you recommend me?

Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:42 am
Site Admin

How long have your students been studying? I only ask because understanding when to use 'do', 'go', 'play', or nothing can be really difficult.

I generally keep them separate and just teach sports that use 'play' together and sports and recreation that use 'go' together.

It might be good to have some other cards and verbs in there as well, especially when you let the students start to use the new target language (the present progressive.)

How many students do you have in the class?

Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:35 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: teaching sports vocabulary and present continuous
from another forum...
natucita wrote:
Then, i'm going to have my students practise on a worksheet... but i haven't made my mind yet... i'd like to give them a reading and then an activity which could be "fill in the gaps"... but i didn't find any source where i could take a good reading from.... the reading has to be related to the topic (sports, health maybe).

I'm teaching at a state school in Argentina... The class is big, around 27 students and they are 12 years old...

dont u think they will get lost when apply sports that collocates with go in the present continuous?

thanks for answering

A reading is tough if you also want to try to practice the present progressive via that. We generally will write in the past or in the present but not in the present progressive, unless the reading is describing a picture.

I think you'd be OK with some cards and asking what the people are doing and then you can model the answer. They'll catch on pretty quick and should be able to use the language. Now explaining all of the particulars with 'be' + the present participle can get a little crazy, but I don't think that matters which vocab you use.

I think teaching the present progressive is the easiest and that's what I teach first. I use the first verb set of flashcards and then move on to the second and third.

I cover sports and leisure in the present tense so I'm not sure how much confusion you might get, because we say, 'He likes going hiking in the fall.' but we often loose the 'go' when we talk about it in the present progressive, 'He is hiking.'

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Yep, you're right, I've decided that i'll teach my students present continuous through flash cards (the ones you gave me seem very useful) or a role-play... and the sports vocabulary with the simple present...

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]