MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
teaching to Brazillians 
MES-Zealot!

Post teaching to Brazillians
Does anyone teach ESL in Brazil? I've only ever taught in Japan or taught exchange students from Japan. I now have a chance to teach some boys (16-17 y.o) from Brazil. One has very good spoken English, having been here since January. Other students are not so good at English, perhaps low-intermediate.
Would the material on this site appeal to Brazillians? Are there any other sites you could recommend? What kind of approach do ESL teachers in Brazil have?
Please help me!!

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:28 pm
Site Admin

Try wakiing up Steve, aka smy2brazil. I haven't seen him around here for awhile :P . Send him a PM and see if he gets back to you.

He works(ed) in Brazil teaching upper ele. and maybe JHS students using MES-E materials. Your students are a little older and may need more advanced materials but I assume they're about the same level as Japanese HS students considering they both start about the same time.

What I've heard though is that S. American students talk a lot more. Evidently they'd rather talk than do worksheets. (the opposite from Japanese Ss.)

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

Post Hello from Brazil
Hey, sorry I have been absent from the board these past couple of months. I took a short trip to the US in July. Then, when I returned to Brazil, I closed my english school in the small town and am now living in the big city. I am about to start up some English classes in some of the neighborhood community centers, but I haven't gotten going yet. My wife and I have a small baby and another small business, so the english classes have been low on the totem pole lately.

Tell me a little more about your situation and I'll see what I can do to help. Give me some time to think about it. I'll write back on Friday for sure.

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:36 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

I am busy now and will check back later (in several hours)

Cheers

Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:16 pm
MES-Zealot!

I can understand your situation. A few years ago, we had a small baby and our own business and it was really hard work. Consequently, baby number 2 didn't come along until after we sold the business!! :lol:

Anyway, back to the topic. There are 4 high school students (ages 15-17) from Brazil. They wanted to join a class with other students from Japan and Malaysia, but decided against it because firstly, their conversational English is of a much higher standard than the others, and also because of specific needs such as pronunciation etc. One of the boys has been here since January, attending a high school, and speaks excellent English. The other boys are not so good, but are still better than most of my Asian students.

So, I'll be giving them private lessons, 2 boys at a time.

They bring samples of their school work and some questions and we go through them. But for the rest of the time, I'm wondering if I might get textbooks perhaps with audio tapes and/or video, or what resources from the internet I might use. Any ideas??

I'm not feeling too confident about this! :? Please, any advice you could offer will be greatly appreciated!!

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:40 am
MES-Zealot!

Depending on their level ( you will have to evaluate this ) some of the eslpod podcasts could be good for listening materials. Choose some subjects that are more interesting for them and you could go through some of those with them.

Portuguese and English have lots of little difference in the way they use prepositions such as 'of' and 'for.' You might want to work with them on that as well, so they don't say I like of or I need of. There is also a difference in the way the past and present are used. Help them ask questions about the past and help them answer those questions. Also, in Portuguese, they say "I liked" something even if it is something that is happening at the moment. Help them with the use of present simple in expressing things.

Adjective placement is also backwards to them in English. We say a big red ball and they say a ball red big. You might want to reinforce that.

His, her, and your are often confused by Brazilian speakers of English, because of an informal use of the 3rd person when speaking to the 2nd person. Help them say his or her instead of your when talking about a 3rd person.

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:54 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

Thank you Steve, that's all very helpful. :-D I had no idea English and Portugese were so different. It's more complex than I thought. No wonder the Brazillians have trouble pronouncing certain words.

What topics do you think might interest tennage boys? Movies? Video games? Music? Same things as teenage Australian boys, I suppose - ? It's strange (I think) that my male Japanese students are not so into sports, but actually like shopping. Only 1 boy is into Karate and Judo, but the rest really don't like sports that much. Shopping, I would've thought, is a female domain!! I guess everyone's different and we can't generalise.

Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:20 am
Site Admin

... Only 1 boy is into Karate and Judo, but the rest really don't like sports that much. Shopping, I would've thought, is a female domain!! I guess everyone's different and we can't generalise.

Well, you get a lot of kids on homestays, right?

The kids that have baseball, basketball, volleyball ... tournaments aren't going to put those aside to study English. In Japan, all those important sporting events are piled up during vacations. So, the 'athletes' are busy.

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:40 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

You're right! The students are mostly on homestays. I'd say around 90% of them are.

So the sportsmen stay in Japan and I get the ones who are really keen on speaking English and having an enjoyable International experience. Yeah! That makes sense. I feel sorry for you guys back in Japan trying to teach the 'athletes'!!

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:11 pm
MES-Zealot!

As far as what things they might be interested in, you just need to get to know them. Like you said, everyone is different. Just choose subjects that are not boring... they don't have to be the most interesting things happening, just enough to keep attention.

Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]