MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
(board)games to end class/fill in a little time 
MES-Member

Post (board)games to end class/fill in a little time
At the moment I have a homemade board game where each square has when, where, or how etc written on it and when you land on the square you have to ask a question starting with that word. It works well to get students talking and is also good if I have finished he class stuff 10 minutes early or so.

Any similar ideas? I can't play the same game every week!

Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:29 am
MES-Zealot!

I sometimes play a board game with various questions cards. On the game board there are sqaures of 4 different colours, red, blue, green and yellow. There are also a few 'go ahead 2 spaces' and 'go back 3 ' and 'miss a turn' etc. When a student lands on a certain colour square he must pick up a card of the corresponding colour and answer the question on that card, or comment on the words. It's a very versitile game as you can use the same game board to practise any questions you wish to and use it at any level. Each colour could have similar questions ie blue for past tense, red for future tense, yellow for describe things, green for 'what's your favourite....?' type of questions.

Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:45 am
MES-Fanatic!

I usually play a new game every week. This week was a Quiz show game, last week was the old school `Win, Lose, or Draw` game, etc. Just think of all the game shows, children games, and any games that are native to where you teach, and Im sure you can create new ideas. I just use those as a basis, and tweak the games to what I need. I think this whole year, I may have repeated a game once. Also, when I was drawing a blank, I just came to this website, and looked for a game on whatever topic I was teaching.

Im not sure if this helps or not, but you can send me a private message if you would like some new game ideas.

Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:56 am
Profile YIM
MES-Member

Post (board) game ideas
One easy way to review is to draw, on the board or on paper, a stairway (a zigzag, essentially) going from lower left to upper right, with maybe 8 steps. At the upper right, add something Heavenly--this can differ with taste and culture, but some gates and angels may suffice. If there's time, let students decorate this a little. Then you need either a marker or a little paper human to move along the steps. Ask review questions from past teaching and move forward one step for a correct answer, backwards two for a wrong one. They can't go below the bottom step. If student speaks non-English words, they fall to the lowest step. This is called Stairway to Heaven. Of course, you can modify this, into a horserace or a flight to the moon.

Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:46 am
MES-Zealot!

http://www.eslhq.com/forums/worksheets/ ... ard-games/
http://bogglesworldesl.com/esl_games.htm
http://www.esl-galaxy.com/board.htm

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:08 pm
MES-Member

Post board game for modal verbs
Here's a board game you can make for modal verbs.
http://www.englicious.com/Lessons/eTheModalGame.php

Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]