MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Japan's English Textbooks 
MES-Zealot!

Post Japan's English Textbooks
This question goes out to anybody that has worked in the Japanese public education sector in Japan.

There is an incredible number of English textbooks okayed by Japan's Ministry of Education that public schools can choose from....7 to be exact.

1. New Horizon
2. New Crown
3. Total English
4. Columbus 21
5. Sunshine
6. One World
7. Everyday English

Which do you like? And, what do you like/dislike about the textbooks you've worked with?

I know this question is kinda loaded, kinda like asking how you would you like to die? Knife, bullet or baseball bat? But what I'm trying to find out is which is the best of the worst?

Personally, I like Total English the best.

Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:57 pm
MES-Addict

I've only been teaching JH since April of this year and most of that has been strictly eikaiwa -no textbook. But the regular classes use the New Horizon series. I find this series pretty good, but definitely not 'perfect'. There is a good balance of English and Japanese, the pages aren't too cluttered and most of the conversations they introduce are at least partly relevant.

From my experience teaching with a textbook at the high school level,
I like textbooks that don't go off on too many tangents -grammatical or cultural. I like textbooks that address topics and vocabulary that students could potentially use sometime in the near future - I don't think 13 or 14 year olds are going to be checking into their own hotel rooms or talking to customs officers on a regular basis.

I prefer short dialogues with one or two focus points and lots of opportunitity for modification. I think there should also be an emphasis on listening. Too often this part of the textbook is overlooked and students do not learn how to listen to English.

my two yen for what it's worth.
:wink:
Linea

Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:31 pm
MES-Zealot!

I had a look through a few of the texts last month and really liked Total English. Unfortunately I will not be here if my Ed Board decides to use that next time as there is a three year cycle.

I think it has a better progression through language and doesn`t expect JHS students to learn a lot of reading and writing quickly at the start. I also liked the pages of pictures it has in it that offer a lot of possibilities for students to experiment with language. (It does also have a kiwi in the series, but that`s a minor reson for liking it.)

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]