MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
entertaining kids (+ adults) independent of me before class 
MES-Member

Post entertaining kids (+ adults) independent of me before class
I only have 10 minutes between classes to see the students out to the door, clean up and set up for the next class, and write a summary of the previous class. I've always got students coming early and once their in the classroom I feel like I have to switch on and give them some attention. I don't want to keep writing my summaries after work and would appreciate a little 'off' time between classes so any ideas? There is a couch just outide the classroom where they can wait. I thought of giving the kids a colour-in to do but there is usually no table for them outside the classroom (I would prefer them outside, that way I don't have to chat in the room and can do my other things). I offered some of the children a book to read this week and only one accepted, even when I let them choose any from the bookshelf. There's no TV either to entertain with.

How can I not look neglectful yet not have to start teaching before the class actually begins?

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:30 am
Site Admin

I'd probably just get to my business and let them do whatever until the room is (I'm) ready. They may flip through their books, look at their stickers or just sit there.

Maybe make it a habbit of closing the door after the last student leaves and then opening it to signal class will begin soon.

You could laminate some of the vocabulary board games and place those outside the room with some dice. If you have a small tub or container, you can keep things in there. Including crayons and some coloring sheets.

See if the school will provide some playing cards or small toys. Children are very good at creating something to do.

Leave some flashcards outside the room that kids can look through and fool around with.

I'm out of ideas that don't cost a bit of money.

Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:40 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]