MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
ALT vs. PT Uni? 
MES-Member

Post ALT vs. PT Uni?
To those of you with experience working as a non-JET ALT...

I am currently reevaluating my current and prospective paths, and I'm hoping to get some help with my brainstorming. I am especially interested in experience in small-town rural areas. Familiarity with Japan and its customs, language barriers, etc. are not an issue.

What do you like and dislike about your job?

If given a choice between work as an ALT and a PT Uni position, what would you choose, and what aspects of each would influence your choice?

Thank you in advance for your ideas.

Kim in Chiba

Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:00 pm
Site Admin

Tough question, and I think it depends on the person.

I like both my part-time Assistant English Teacher postition (AET) and my PT Uni (part-time university?) position. At the same time, neither is my favorite.

The AET position is good for me because it gives me a lot of desk time to do other things. It is also a good place for me to test drive games and is a lot of the inspiration for games and activities you see on MES-E. I'm always trying to find different ways to teach those non-learners, and games work.

What I don't like is the lack of freedom to do what I want. In the end you are an assistant teacher. It's not your class and you may have to do as you told, just read the textbook and stand around a lot. Sometimes, I do feel like I'm wasting my time.

My PT Uni position is good, but I get students after 6 years of passive English education. It's very hard to get them to speak when they believe English class should consist of worksheets and memorization. It can be very trying especially with larger classes and they need to be entertained more so than the younger students. That's just my experience, but motivating them to speak is very difficult.

On the other hand, they are more mature and capable of more things. They are more advanced in their English education and can have full discussions on topics (to an extent.) The other good part is you are the only teacher and it's your class. You get to teach!

My favorite place to teach is my private conversation school. Classes are small (3-6 people) and students are generally more motivated. I'm the only teacher and I get to do things my way (I'm the administration :) )

Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]