MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
have or have got? 
Site Admin

Post have or have got?
I've noticed from a few v-key pal submissions that a lot of teachers in other parts of the world teach 'have got' and not just the simple 'have' as the verb in an example like this: 'He's got blue eyes.'

I'm just wondering if that's standard in your area. And if so, is it always taught contracted?

I'd like to switch over to 'has got', because it's probably more helpful, but in Japan the tests (kids will have to take for high school and college enterance) don't use this form. I would just end up hurting them in that respect. (Japan still holds to strong prescriptivist ways.)

This all comes from the fact that I'm getting ready to post a few more worksheets and some with 'have' for decriptions. I wanted to know if I should post a version with 'have got' as well.

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:57 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

I am from NZ and I use both in my natural speech
(chop and change)
but yes teaching in public schools here in Japan I try to use "I have"

Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:44 am
MES-Addict

In Spain we teach "have got" to younger students, but once they discover they can use just "have" with the same results, they change to it. At least, they learn both, just in case they need them one day.
For me, having worksheets with "have got" will be useful, too.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:19 pm
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback. Well, I went ahead and posted both a have and have got version, plus some other grammar worksheets. Let me know what you think. There are a few Mark-isms in there and I was reluctant to post them, but if they help someone great! If you can't use them, then you're no worse off, I guess.

www.mes-english.com/worksheets/introduction.php

Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I suppose you are referring to my "Mes-International Café" when you ask about "have / have got ". The point is that all the books for young kids come with "have got", but in fact I don't find it very easy for the students. I think they only understand this clearly, later, when they learn the Present perfect.
And you find it either "have got" or " ' ve got".
Anyway, here in Portugal they learn a lot of English on Tv, the web, etc, so they soon discover that the "got" is there for nothing, so they usually use the verb "have" alone.
Another importanr thing, I think, I always had the idea that "have got" was more Br.E and "have" was Am.E. Am I wrong?
Olinda

Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:30 am
Site Admin

Another importanr thing, I think, I always had the idea that "have got" was more Br.E and "have" was Am.E. Am I wrong?
Olinda

I don't really know if 'have got' is something that has made it's way into American English, or it was always there, but we (Americans) use it as well. It' be interesting to know when that (have got) made it into English. (Well interesting to me. :D )

I can't remember exactly which projects had examples but I think it was the self-intro projects that first caught my eye. 'Wow! These kids are saying they've got blue eyes.'

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:37 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I always had the idea that "have got" was more Br.E and "have" was American English
So did I.
In France Children are taught : " have got" for possession and characteristics : He's got a new car. She's got green eyes ect...
and have for
A : actions: have breakfast, dinner, shower, an English class have a rest, a swim, good time ect...
B : habitual and repeated actions. Ex : She doesn't have French on Wednesdays.
But I've noticed that more and more English people say Do you have .... for possession
It seems that modern British English usage is becoming more similar to American usage.

Michèle

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:59 am
MES-Zealot!

Post I use have got.
I teach my kids here in Switzerland I've got, he's got...etc because
if they go to England, that's what you hear over there.
I try to contract my verbs right from the start as it saves teaching
them twice....I have got...I've got... only because it's so much
of a problem with Swiss adults.
Everything that is painfully hard for adults...I make sure that
kids learn quickly and easily.

I'm an Aussie and I learnt both I have...I've got, watching
American and British shows on the telly.

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:39 pm
MES-Member

I think the reason coursebooks use "have got" as opposed to just "have" is because it is simpler for the negative and question forms.
I, too, teach "have got" because you can ask "Have you got...." and say "I have/haven't got".
With "have" you have to introduce the "do" into the question and answer and this is often left for later when it is taught with the negative and asking questions with verbs that are not "to be" or with modal auxiliaries.

Coursebooks often start with the verbs using can and the have got form and then progress to the present progressive form and after that comes the simple present which requires the "do" in questions and negatives.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]