MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Hot Potatoes 
MES-Addict

Post Hot Potatoes
Hi,
I know this program is not new, but it is to me and I would like to know if any of you uses it. Is it good for English classes? What do you do with it? Ideas about it...

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:13 pm
Site Admin

I made a couple Hot Potatoes activities and will probably do more
www.hospitalenglish.com/students/fieldsofstudy1.htm
www.hospitalenglish.com/students/tests/asthma_mcq.htm

I don't actually use these because I didn't end up using the articles with my students but the thought was that they would use them on their own outside of class. They could be used for review for the test or even after they finish school they can go back to the site and learn.

I'm going to be making more because I think they are a nice break from traditional worksheets and having them on-line, even if you just post them on the Hot Potatoes website, will be beneficial to others as well.

I've used other games in classes but only as rewards and as review classes. There are loads of studies that say computer games and computer activities are not as effective as traditional classroom instruction. (Take that with a grain of salt because my information comes from my wife. I haven't read any of that information directly.)

As far as what to do, I pretty much just let them do it. We head to the computer lab. I teach for the first part of the lesson as usual and then for the second half they start up the computers and then do the activities.

When they finish, they can play/do it again or try some of the others for review.

Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:10 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Thanks mesmark for your quick answer. I checked your examples and I see that you can do almost everything with Hot Potatoes.
You say you can put the exercises in the Hot Potatoe page. How do you do it?

Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:38 pm
Site Admin

I've never uploaded a file but I believe at the end of the process, after you make the activity, it asks you if you'd like to upload it to the Hot Potatoes website. It's been over a year since I've done anything with that program.

You don't need to have them on a website. You can just make the files available over the network by adding them to a shared folder.

It might be time consuming and expensive depending on how many students you have but you could also burn CDs of the files.

You could make available or have each of the students bring in re-writable CDs and add files to their CDs as you make them.

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:05 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I read in the Hot Potatoes we that you can control the exercises the pupils do and even get the results. But I'm not sure if you have to pay for the program or if you can get it with the free version. Any one knows it?

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]