MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
letting go of the matrix - the non-grammar teaching method 
MES-Zealot!

First, I know you don't test, but I think it is still possible to test even after letting go of the matrix.

Second, you, uh, (rubs hands in greedy fashion) wouldn't happen to have those past tense flash cards available would you?

Steve

Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:39 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

you, uh, (rubs hands in greedy fashion) wouldn't happen to have those past tense flash cards available would you?

They aren't on the site, BUT I can dust them off and see if I can get them to you :wink:

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

I began teaching past tense yesterday in one of my classes. I tried something different, and it looks like it was successful. I didn't divide the verbs into the groups irregular and regular. As you know, everyone hates irregular verbs and thinks that they are automatically too difficult to understand.

I called them common verbs and regular verbs. Common verbs are verbs we use everyday. It is hard to get through a day without using many of the common verbs, but the regular verbs are not always used as much. By categorizing them that way, the students seemed to stop resisting the idea of memorizing new words for the past.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:16 pm
MES-Zealot!

I think of my way of learning Japanese. Three years of not really studying but just picking things up as I went along, living in the language with a job in which I had to teach English. A key moment for me was however when a linguisticly minded friend gave me a grammar lesson. It was extremely beneficial because of the vocabulary I had already acquired. (as an aside osmosis is not the best method of language study, you do need to work at it). Guess I am saying that I think it is good to have a bit of both at some stage.

As for teaching in the school system: If you teach for assessment then the learning will not be powerful, assessing for teaching is what makes learning powerful. Explains why Japanese people still have trouble putting sentences together after six years of study.

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2