MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Teaching months 
MES-Member

Post Teaching months
I've just qualified in Thailand as a TEFL teacher. I have no experience other than the supervised teaching at governments schools here in Thailand which adds up to 6 hours. The youngest I tought were 12yo.

Now I have a job teaching 3 - 11yos in a private shool where the kids are tought English from Kindergarden. I'm dropping in 1/2 way through term where a teacher has done a runner. I have no idea where the kids are at and I have to teach them the months of the year.
My first class is for 11yos. I have a lesson plan from the govt. school that worked well (no guarentes I know) but I'm not overly worried.

I'm more concerned about teaching the 6yos I have on the first day. My curriculum say s I have to teach them months of the year. "After completing the period the students should be able to recite months." No other guidence.

Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:54 pm
Site Admin

here are some previous posts with ideas on teaching months
http://www.mes-english.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=799
http://www.mes-english.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=298

Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Thankyou. I guess it's adifficult one all over asia. In Thailand I'm not allowed to speak thai. I'm concerned my students will learn the names of the months parrot fashion and not realy get to grips with the concept. I'm thinking I'm going to have to throw in the birthday concept so at least they can tell me there birthday is in a certain month.

Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:52 pm
MES-Addict

Personally, I don't feel like the names of the month are something the students need to learn on a deep level, but having them connect it to their birthdays will certainly help them remember it a little more significantly, I hope.

It's funny how ideally we'd like our students to be able to remember things based on something important and meaningful to them, but I wonder if sometimes, it saves more time in the long run to just teach certain things, like months, days of the week and numbers by repetition and drilling (in as fun a way as possible, of course).

Then, you can use that new knowledge in a personally significant way that incorporates it within another activity, to help cement it. For example, teach numbers through a drill, but then use it in a How old are you? bingo game. What does everyone else think?

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:21 am
MES-Member

Out of the 3 age groups I tought today the 10yos could give me "My birthday is in the month of ..." by the end of the lesson. I them drilled in the months and then gave them a simple worksheet asking them their details of their birthday. I helped them by asking them when was Christmas, New Year and the Thai New Year/Water Festival Songkran (yes they celebrate everything here in Thailand) then I told them my birthday. That got the message across and out of the abstract.

I had less success with a class of 8-9yos. They were bored but I couldn't develop the concept with them. I tried to test them on secquences of the months. "Which is the 3rd month?" and even though they'd done a work sheet which required them to write them down in order with their respective ordinal they just would not give it me back.

Then I had 2 classes of 5-6yos. For them I drilled them in the months. I figgured if I couldn't move it on with the 8-9yos I stood little chance with these so I gave them the months. We drilled it up and down correcting as we went along.We then Had a lot of fun when I misspelt words because they had given me a 'b' instead of a 'v', a 'sh' instead of a 'ch' etc. That worked really well. A lot of fun, I had them putting their hands up to come and help silly teacher who could spell what he had just tought. They loved that. Another teacher thought I'd lost control and popped her head around the door to see if everythinbg was ok. Thai teachers control the classes strickly as far as I can see. As soon as I gave them their worksheet to practice writing the words they settled down. All completed their worksheets and their homeroom teacher was well impressed.

Over all I'm quite pleased. I have 12 more classes of the same for the rest of the week.

Thankfully I have time next week. Great, flash cards!! Always make life easier.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]