MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
pronunciation problems 
MES-Member

Post pronunciation problems
I decided to put together a few lessons on pronunciation and intonation for my site, and need everyone's comments/advice. I've only taught Japanese learners of English, and so am very familiar with their problem areas in speaking. But what is it like with other learners? Specifically:

1. Are there specific sounds difficult to pronounce because of the learner's L1?

2. Are there sound pairs that cause problems? For example, Japanese people have a lot of trouble with "b" and "v," or "l" and "r."

Any answers are very much appreciated!

Thank you.

Chris Cotter
www.headsupenglish.com

Mon May 28, 2007 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Post Koreans
I can tell you about Koreans.

b and v, r and l, p and f sound the same to them(although I'm a native Korean, I'll leave myself out since I can distinguish those~!)

also,
z sound requires some practice, since z and j sound all the same.

'th' sound is even harder because you have to stick your tongue out quickly enough.

Tue May 29, 2007 2:54 am
MES-Zealot!

Speakers of Brazilian Portuguese have extreme difficulty with the "th" sound. There is no similar sound in the language. They also can't say the hard Ts and Ds very well. cat always sounds like catch and bad sounds like badge. There is no "w" in any Portuguese word, though it does appear in names, and Y makes no sense to them in the beginning of word. (Intrestingly they try to make it sound like a W of all things.)

Tue May 29, 2007 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I teach Spanish students and I can say that the most difficult sounds are the vowels, diphtongs and b/v. In Spanish there are only 5 vowels sounds, so imagine when they find out that in English there are a lot more. For them, long or short vowels has no sense.
I find a lot of problems with pronunciation. It seems Spanish have tones of problems with it and it is really difficult to loose the Spanish accent.
If you find a way to help with pronunciation I'll love you for ever!!!

Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]