MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
my first ELL student 
Post my first ELL student
I am a Parent Advisor for our state's early intervention program. I teach young children in their home. I just got my first ELL student and I was wondering if any one could offer me some advice. The mother does not speak any English and I'm really not sure what to expect. Thanks in advance!

Wed May 02, 2007 10:39 am
Site Admin

What are you teaching to the child? All subjects? Just English?

How old is the child?

Wed May 02, 2007 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

May be you need to focus on the child by attracting his attention using flashcards , games , activity .This site is so useful . :-)

Thu May 03, 2007 12:47 am
He is two and I'm basically going to be helping him learn the basic skills. He is a special needs child. Thanks for all of the advice so far!

Thu May 03, 2007 5:36 am
Site Admin

I don't have any experience teaching special needs children. There are a few speech therapists and other special needs members on the forums. Hopefully, they will be able to offer you some advice.

I do teach a lot of 2-3 year olds. With them, I just focus on listening and comprehension. Language production comes much later.

I use books, toys, music, exercise, flashcards and puppets in class. Most of what I do is explanation. I show a picture and tell the children what it is. I ask them to touch the card, point to a color, or part of the card.

I hide things and have them try to find them. All the time talking about the item or what we are doing "Where is the spoon? Where is the spoon? Where is the spoon? Hmm... Oh, look! I/You found it! Great. Let's put this spoon in a safe place, so we don't lose it again." (While we look for the spon, I hide the fork.)

I read books and just like a parent reads to their child, I read it several times. I point out items in the pictures or ask the students to point to something.

Toys are great just to handle, explain and pass around. Young kids are attracted to the colors, textures and reality (not a flashcard.)

Puppets are useful for modeling/having conversations. Kids love them. If you have several, then you can give them personalities (sort of like Sesame Street.)

I don't know if any of that is helpful. It basically only deals with language acquisition. Most of it, I'm sure, isn't anything new. At two, the child is still learning L1 and introduction of English should still model L1 acquistion. I would assume the same goes for a special needs child.

I will say that I think it is important that the parents continue teaching/using their native language with the child. A strong foundation/understanding in L1 has been shown to be important in second language acquisition.

Sat May 05, 2007 11:14 am
Profile WWW
I really appreciate all of the great advice. I do a lot of these things with my other children. I'm just nervous about working with a mom whose language I can't speak. I've never had to use an interpreter, so I'm just nervous about that and don't know what to do.

Sun May 06, 2007 12:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]