MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
PLEASE COME my Ss are monsters 
MES-Member

Post PLEASE COME my Ss are monsters
HELLO ,

I have got a serious problem and I need your help plezzzzzzz

my Ss are monsters :? :? . I can't control them they are sooooooo naughty
I know they still kids and they are just 1st intermediaters but there was no way of motivating I didn't use and it wouldn't work out :roll: .
can you imagine that they fight about the answers during the class !!
can you imagine that they call names infront of me during the lesson !!
they are soooo SPOILED
and now I am lost
my last way to keep thing under my control in the class was by giving them some stickers charts and at the end they will get present >>>do you know what happened ?
some Ss were talking while I explain and not ONCE
so I decided that today no stickers for those who were talking >>>>>they started shouting and crying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

HeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP :roll:

Tue May 01, 2007 12:11 am
MES-Addict

Post Naughty kids
Hi there, sounds like a tough one. I guess your students are 1st grade elementary school students. I've taught that age group before and found that using a mixture of suitable rewards and punishments are best. Rewards were points, and after they got a certain amount they got stamps on their 'English passports' (see www.genkienglish.net). They could exchange a completed 'passport' for toys or stationery. Punishments were that if they broke the rules a few times, no recess, followed by writing lines which steadily increased the more they stepped over the line. I found that this helped me keep my class in line as they really don't like having to do any extra writing. This is just the method that I've used though and I'm not saying it's the best possible. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Jimbo on Tue May 01, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 01, 2007 7:42 pm
Site Admin

Is the problem only occuring in your class or is this a system wide problem?

How old are the students? How many students are there in the class?

Do you have any leverage? any power of any sort? Can you take away any privilages or possibly give students more privilages?

What is the testing system? Can you give them a quiz on what was covered in the last class?

Sorry for all the questions, but more information would really help in this case.

Tue May 01, 2007 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Is the problem only occuring in your class or is this a system wide problem?
well Mark indeed I work in a private school , and most of the students are spoiled so YES its a system wide problem .

How old are the students? How many students are there in the class?
they are around 13 to 14 ( they are ten Ss.)

Do you have any leverage? any power of any sort? Can you take away any privilages or possibly give students more privilages?

I have some sort of power but I think it doesn't matter fo them they just don't care .

What is the testing system? Can you give them a quiz on what was covered in the last class?
well after each unit they have a practise test and I REVISE THEM DAILY BY USING GAMES ,COMPETETION , QUIZES .and alot of ideas were taken from this WOOOOW website.

Sorry for all the questions, but more information would really help in this case.well thanks for being interested and offering your help . THANKS ALOT.

hello, Jimpo
my students are i1st intermediater (teens)
I tried as much as I can just to creat a new environment in the class and that was the centre of my problem .
They just fight and shout about any thing . :cry: :cry:

thanks alot for passing by.

Last edited by zainaaab on Thu May 03, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 03, 2007 12:39 am
MES-Addict

Welcome to the REAL world, I know what you are talking about. Some now and then I get a class with a kind of "Top Twenty", where you can't tell who the worst is. They are all very, very bad.
I always tell them that if they think they are going to win.." just have a seat and wait, you still don't know how bad I manage to be"
I always prepare a fabulous trip, they can go out and have a picnic, they can go to a fun fair, watch a football match, anything I know they want. Then, it's easy. If you don't pay attention in class, don't do your homework, don't bring your books in class, if you shout or fight in class, you get negative points. Enough negative points will make them stay at school having the other lessons, while the " little angels " go out and have some fun.
After some time they'll understand what's better for them. A kind and happy teacher, instead of a devil.
Meanwhile I always try to show them that they are important for me and that I do care about them and that things can change, but they will have to change MY WAY.
Keep trying, don't ever forget they are just kids and don't let them forget you are the teacher.
olinda

Thu May 03, 2007 1:33 am
MES-Member

what a great idea , I think it will work out for my kids , that they like trips
:-D :-D :-D

Quote:
[After some time they'll understand what's better for them. A kind and happy teacher, instead of a devil.]

I liked this one heheheheeh :lol:

thanks for passing by

Thu May 03, 2007 10:08 pm
MES-Zealot!

Switch to English only. There's a couple of podcasts about it on eslteachertalk.com.

Fri May 04, 2007 2:46 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Switch to English only. There's a couple of podcasts about it on eslteachertalk.com.

That's a good idea. Shifting the class to English only helps to eliminate a lot of behavioral issues, but it also sends a very positive message to the students about why they are there.

If you get a chance, listen to these shows.

http://www.eslteachertalk.com/2006/05/c ... classroom/

http://www.eslteachertalk.com/2006/06/t ... revisited/

One of the biggest hurdles will be your reward system.

Fri May 04, 2007 8:15 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I've tried what Olinda says and it really works! but as long as you are consequent with what you say. If the day of the prize you pity the ones that did not get the points and you let them go, this technique would never work again. Therefore you have to be very strict!

Fri May 11, 2007 11:35 pm
MES-Member

I think you shouldn't make them realize that you are tired of them....

Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]