MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
'as a' versus 'for my' 
MES-Addict

Post 'as a' versus 'for my'
I was teaching some false beginners the other night who were pretty sharp and one them used the phrase, "I want to learn English for my hobby" based off of the model in our text book which read "I want to learn English for my job."

Now I want to learn English for my job sounds perfectly natural to me, but I didn't like the sound of for my hobby. I said that in regards to hobbies, we would say "as a hobby."

When one of them asked why, I was stuck for a moment and then explained we can say English is my hobby, but we can't say English is my job, so therefore we should use 'as a'. But I think that was an explanation better suited to answering why we should use 'as a' rather than why we shouldn't use 'for my.' Or maybe it wasn't a good explanation for anything. :? It was a hard question, and I requested some extra research time with a promise of a better answer next week.

Does anyone have a better explanation for this, assuming my reccommendation was correct in the first place?

Thanks in advance guys,
Natasha

Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:32 pm
MES-Zealot!

when I say "I want to learn English for my work"

I mean that English will help me in my job, for the purpose of using it in my job

so "I want to use English for my Hobby"

English will help me in my hobby? no, it is my hobby (most likely?)

a different meaning

I am sure there is more to it and a better explanation but ....

hope it helps

Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:58 pm
MES-Addict

Yeah, I think that was what I thinking but couldn't articulate well when I tried to explain the difference. English can possibly help or improve their job, but most likely won't help or improve their hobby. Instead, it will probably be their hobby.

So when I go back to them this week, I'm gonna explain that (with your generous help Kiwione) and then ask if they still want to say that it will help their hobby, because if so, I'm curious to know what their hobby is!

Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]