MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Do you teach hard 't's? 
Site Admin

Post Do you teach hard 't's?
I have been dropping the 't's at the end of words just as I naturally do in words like cat, want, can't ... when I model pronunciation or teach new words.

I also model pronounciation with softer 't's that sound like 'd's or glottal stops when in the middle of words like water, curtains, letter ...

I was teaching in a JHS and another teacher insisted I pronounce the 't's with the hard consonant sounds. His reasoning was 'students can't hear the 't's if I don't do it that way.'

I believe in modeling English the way it's spoken (even though we can only teach our regional pronounciation.) Students will get used to the slight sounds with time.

Anyway, I'm curious whether teachers do make a point to pronounce their 't's? or do you drop them?

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:55 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Personally I like to speak normally, and try not to over emphasise "t"s.

One of the main reasons for having native speaker English teachers is for students to hear "native" pronunciation.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:51 pm
MES-Zealot!

but
Quote:
I also model pronounciation with softer 't's that sound like 'd's or glottal stops when in the middle of words like water, curtains, letter ...

I pronounce these as normal Ts anyway

and with cat, want and can't,

I don't drop them (as I don't in natural speech) but yes they are not so strong

for low levels I try not to overload them with things they really don't need
but yeh for a higher level ....

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:33 am
MES-Fanatic!

i have to admit, the only letter i over emphasize is the letter "s". i usually do this when i am teaching plurals. ie
what animal do you like?
"i like cat." or "i like dog." is the usual response, so i fully whack on the "s" for these occassions. i figure if the kids see me putting such an emphasis on the letter to the point of stupidity (i like catsssssssssssss), they will remember it more easily in the future....and of course they dont repeat with the same emphasis....they just simply remember to add an "s", because they realise im being silly with my pronunciation for the sake of them remembering to put on an "s".

Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:10 pm
MES-Member

I do the same with present simple 3ยบ person singular sss.

Mon May 07, 2007 8:41 am
MES-Zealot!

I do have to emphasize the hard Ts on numbers by 10s

Twenty
Thirty
Fourty

if not, I sound like I'm saying fordy.

Now, one of the reasons for the confusion is that English is a time/stress language and not a syllabic language. So, the pronunciation and speed of a word changes depending on it's importance in a sentence. More important... slower, less important... faster.

Mon May 07, 2007 10:44 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I think I do a combination of distinct pronunciation at first and more natural pronunciation after we've gone over it a few times.

When we're first learning something I use a bit less ellision and speed than I usually do for the sake of clarity, and then gradually make it more native sounding as we read over a passage or practice a sentence at a more natural speed.

I think this way, they can start out understanding why it's spelled the way it is (in the context of a JHS class I think this is important for helping them retain the meaning, spelling and pronunciation of new words) and then as we speed up start to hear why we don't say parts of the words as strongly as others.

But this only makes sense in the context of learning words in sentences. I don't use this method with single words that we're studying outside of a sentence or reading passage.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:38 pm
MES-Zealot!

I really stress the "S" in plurals for young kids as Japanese doesn't have plurals like this so I make fun of it and over stress it making it sound funny (ie just a fun way to help them remember it)

so with a flash card of one table, I say "1 table" and get them to repeat
I then show a flashcard of 2 tables and say that but make it more like
"2 tableSSSSSSS" (like a snake)

but this is for quite young kids

then later I use/teach it normally

I have never really thought much about the "t"s so much

Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]