MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Creative Writing 
MES-Addict

Post Creative Writing
Hi there everyone,
Just wanted to know if anyone out there has any good ideas for creative writing classes. My kids are 2nd graders in Taiwan and in each writing class they write an essay of about sixty words. I've tried a lot of methods and would be really keen to hear from anyone who's got good ideas. Thanks.

Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:24 pm
Site Admin

Have you taken a look at the projects here? www.mes-english.com/vkeypals.php

Obviously, if the students are interested in the topic or have something to say on the matter, writing will be much more enjoyable. The problem is finding those topics. Anyway, there are three different ideas that kids really like to write about in those projects; making a restaurant, superheros, and the perfect park. They might also give you other ideas.

If you think they'll be motivated by a project exchange those might be just the thing. Writing to somebody really helps motivate students.

Also, if you can think of another project and want me to add it to that section and hopefully get some responses from other teachers around the world, I can post your new project as well.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:06 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Post Writing and Grammar
Thanks Mark. My kids work with a course book for creative writing, but I'd like to try some of the projects you suggested in free writing classes. Like you said, if they're interested in the topic it helps a lot and not all the topics in the course book I use are that interesting. Aside from that is the matter of grammar. Even the weakest kids in my class can write an essay, but the problem is that most of the time they write down in English what they think in Chinese. This is the real issue that I'm working on, trying to improve their grammar. As you said in a previous post, if they can say it they can more than likely write it, that's true. Problem is that even though my kids hear correct English all the time, speak it when I teach them sentence patterns, read it, and are taught it, they nonetheless continue spaeking (and writing) Chinese - English. Any ideas on this dilemna? Thanks.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:30 pm
MES-Member

Post Re: Creative Writing
Jimbo wrote:
Hi there everyone,
Just wanted to know if anyone out there has any good ideas for creative writing classes. My kids are 2nd graders in Taiwan and in each writing class they write an essay of about sixty words. I've tried a lot of methods and would be really keen to hear from anyone who's got good ideas. Thanks.

Hi Jimbo!
I know with my second graders, I find that teaching them different writing forms is very helpful at keeping their interest. For example, we do a unit on procedural writing. I will do things like make mini pizzas with the class, then have them write up the steps that they took to make it- including eating them. Or we do recounts, and write in order the events of something like a field trip. We do letter writing, and currently have penpals from all around Canada. Having fun things like cooking and field trips, really gets them excited to write.
Karina

Thu May 10, 2007 9:58 am
MES-Addict

Thanks Karina, I'd definitely like to give your ideas a try.

Sat May 19, 2007 10:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]