MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Learning goal guidelines 
MES-Member

Post Learning goal guidelines
Hi all.
I'm teaching English to 2.5/3.5 year old kids. It means I have my own students every day 5 days a week, all thru the day. I teach them not only language art but also arts and craft. I do everything in English but the children (only 5) don't have an English backround at home.
I take two weeks (10 working days) for each topic.
How do I do it? with the help of a TA and Chinese language teacher (to translate some now and than)52 English is a new language for them. The parents are Chinese and 99% can't speak any English so reinforcement at home is excluded.

I would like to send a clear message to the parents about what the children are able to learn -given their situation such as second language learners, aged 2-3.5 and lacking reinforcement at home.
Parents in China often have expectation way too high.
What are realistic goals? (I'm only interested in the language part here) Is there something like a guide with realistic learning goals for ESL pre-schoolers?

Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:57 pm
Site Admin

I just want to make sure I got the word problem right :lol:
5 kids for 40 hours a week and 2 teachers?

I would say in that case the parents can expect pretty good results. That's a great situation. However, I would make sure that they understand it will take time.

I've never worked in a situation like that, but I did think about trying it here in Japan. My idea (again based on nothing) was a year for listening comprehension and then speaking would follow about 6 months behind. So, after 18 months the students should be able to converse a bit in English, but understand most of what is said to them.

I don't know of any studies that compare 'time' and 'situation' for learning English in pre-schoolers. You might try Google Scholar and search for articles http://scholar.google.com

If you can write out something that explains your plan and timeline estimates, I'm sure the parents will be satisfied with that.
1-3 months
    answering yes/no questions
    responding to verbal commands
    functional phrases for use in class
    a vocabulary list (just the topic heading)
4-6 months:
    making activity choices (expressing wants)
    single word responses to questions
    a second vocabulary list

Maybe someone else out there has done something like this.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]