MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
countinuous assessment in teaching english 
MES-Member

Post countinuous assessment in teaching english
hello everybody!

i think testing students play a prominent role in the learning process,because it's not a question of marks and testing,as far as im concerned countinuous assessment could help teachers in recognizing their studnets' weaknesses.
My question here is what other consequences are there in countinuous assessment ?

:D

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:01 pm
MES-Fanatic!

i guess it all depends on how you go about doing your "continuous assessment". If you make the kids do a formal test on a regular basis, then this kind of assessment could have a negative effect on a kids desire to learn english.....young kids like to learn english as a second language, because it is essentially a subject that you can pretty much just play games while using target words and sentence structures.

if you are taking mental notes of kids weaknesses while they are playing games or doing an enjoyable activity, i see this as a good form of "continuous assessment". you can then tailor different games to focus on individual kids weaknesses. i believe that you dont need a formal test to judge a young learners ability.

of course, i dont work at an elementary or junior high school, so i can imagine that the school does put an emphasis on grades and formal tests may be required to back up a kids development.....but if you are just working at a conversational school, playing games and noting a kids response during that game is assessment enough for me.....and kids dont even know they are being assessed.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:58 pm
MES-Addict

For me Evaluation must be an instrument to inform me if I need to change or adapt something. At the same time it must tell the students about their progress. I like to do an auto-evaluation. It works as an exam but it's not.
It is important to use more than one way to evaluate and to find an equilibrate way to do it as I need to check the progress of the group and the progress of each pupil. To control the process of learning I use a continuous evaluation with a systematic observation and a global vision of the learning progress of the students.
What I want to evaluate is the competence of the students, the use they do of the English language in a situation remembering that errors are normal in the learning process.
Instead of evaluating with only designed activities to evaluate, I select activities which, as well as being a part of the didactic units, allow me to observe and collect different information about the rhythmic patterns, the quality of pronunciation, the level of oral comprehension and oral production, writing production and the attitudes.

Mon May 28, 2007 1:32 am
MES-Member

Auto-evaluation is a good idea I will apply it next year...

Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]