MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Help needed to move forward with conversation. 
MES-Member

Post Help needed to move forward with conversation.
:) Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and forum and what a brilliant find it is. I live in Spain and teach english to 7 to 13 year old Spanish children, private lessons. Although the children are enjoying their lessons. At the moment we play games to practise the english vocabulary they have learnt at school and so far it has worked well, but now I feel that I'd like to have some help with what subject to teach when. Yes we start with 'my name's...' what's your name? then numbers, colours, shapes, body parts etc but how do I build conversation? Can anyone suggest a course or web page where I can get this information.

Sorry one other thing, my user name is Watts, a bit formal do you think? Is it possible to change it?

Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:35 am
MES-Addict

I teach English, too, and conversation is one of the most difficult things to do. Children don't know enough to answer questions or to ask them, so conversations are quite difficult to create. I always try with games that force them to talk. Try to prepare some questions about the same topic, for example colours. You can prepare questions about the meaning of colours, the favourite ones, the hated ones... then, start a conversation about the topic asking the questions and let the students answer them and invent more questions.
I did not find a web dedicated to conversation but the best is to adapt games, do questionnaires. Children need to repeat and repeat the same questions so the best is to do it in a funny way.
I hope this helps you.

Wed May 30, 2007 2:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]