MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Teaching Reading-Methods and Activities Needed 
MES-Member

Post Teaching Reading-Methods and Activities Needed
I`m looking for ideas related to reading such as methods, activities, and example lessons. There are many resources on the net but I`m having trouble finding and identifying the most useful, effective material.

The class is for an adult intermediate level class with high level material that contains plenty of difficult vocabulary that must be explained (and understood by the students) :-D . Does anyone have any ideas that could aid me?? Many thanks!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:49 pm
I realize that this may not be exactly what you're looking for, but are you familiar with extensive reading? Basically, the idea is to get students to read as much (of anything) as possible. The reading materials should be "easy" - no more than two or three unknown words per page, and interesting. Perhaps your students could do this in addition to the more difficult readings that they're doing for the class. In my experience, this is a good way to make progress with both reading speed and vocabulary.

Take care,
Dave

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:44 am
MES-Member

Extensive reading is a good idea. Get the students to read as much as possible on the topics that interest them. Put together a reading list, grading it by difficulty. A two sentence summary for each title might be a good idea, too.

If you're looking for articles and ideas, take a look at Google Scholar (I think). You should be able to find articles. If any one requires a download fee, e-mail the author. Usually he/she is more than happy to send you a copy for free.

You also might want to consider buying the book "Teaching by Principles" by H. Douglas Brown. It has a lot of great information that is readily accessible. A whole chapter is dedicated to reading in the ESL classroom, for example. There are two other books in the series, too. I'm constantly referring to the book for ideas. Scrivener isn't bad, although I don't know what the updated version is like.

Chris Cotter
www.headsupenglish.com

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Teaching Reading-Methods and Activities Needed
guambomb wrote:
I`m looking for ideas related to reading such as methods, activities, and example lessons. There are many resources on the net but I`m having trouble finding and identifying the most useful, effective material.

That's the kind of things books are written about :P

To what extent do they understand the text? Would pre-teaching or working with the vocabulary be good enough?

What is the content? Is it ESP (English for Special Purposes) or just general advanced material?

Breaking away from all the questions, what I do at a nursing college is pre-teach the vocabulary. That could mean simply having them look up the terms to playing some sort of game to help solidify the terms. Then I let them look at the medical article(s) in groups of 4 and find the main point of each paragraph.

I elicit the main points and write them on the board. Then I have them go back and each member of the group must find at least one supporting detail in each paragraph for the main point.

Then I elicit those from the class. I write the whole thing on the board in outline form. Sort of reverse engineering. I do it that way to help them read for overall comprehension and not try to translate themselves into confusion. :D

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

there is a fantastic website that encourage children to read, there are many stories online.
If you go to www.kizclub.com in the links section you will find a link to the "I can read" webpage. I do strongly recommend it!

Fri May 11, 2007 11:41 pm
Site Admin

I've done an exercise that's pretty good for teaching skimmimg and finding information.

I prepare a reading. It's usually pretty easy but not way beneath the students. I give one copy face down to every student.

When I say go they have 10 seconds to find the answer to some content question. When the time is up they have to stop reading and put down the text face down.

The first person to find the information raises their hand and answers the question after the time is up. If their answer is correct, they are done and can turn over and read the text.

Then we play again. I give them another question on the same text and we repeat with a new 15 second time clock.

The interesting thing is the students that finish first will read the whole text and usually follow along with the activity. Some will continue to play to see if they can skim for the information to answer the question.

When you've played out the game, you can have the whole class read through the text and they do! They actually want to. It somehow really sparks interest in the reading.

This might work best with younger students, but I have used it successfully with all ages.

Tue May 22, 2007 10:39 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

This education year I make my students prepare theatre plays. On next Tuesday my students will perform the plays. The plays are "Little Red Riding Hood, Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella, Goldilocks and the Three Bears" They are very happy and excited. I suggest that you should use plays... ;-)

Sat May 26, 2007 12:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]