MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Need help,plz? 
MES-Member

Post Need help,plz?
Can you please tell me how to teach countries& nationalities?
Thanks in advance. :)

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:41 am
MES-Zealot!

what .... no grammar?.... just the vocab?

... and for how many students?

1 idea that comes to mind is;

you could make famous people cards (ie from different countries if possible) and a bunch of corresponding flag cards

from here you can play many games such as concentation etc

Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:03 am
MES-Member

Post Need help!
Thanks so much for ur reply& ur help .
I've got classes of 40 students .Actually, i intend to familiarize my students with the names of countries & nationalities and enable them ,at the same time , to use expressions such as "where are you from?", "I'm from ......" "Are you .......?" "Yes, I am " or "No, I'm not; I'mMoroccan etc ).
Mind you , my students are familiar with the verb "to be" in the simple present (affirmative, interrogative&negative forms).
Thanks in advance .

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:33 am
MES-Member

If I were you I'd separate them and teach countries first and then nationalities later, when countries are well established. otherwise it leads to confusion with students not remembering which is which and saying things like She's France

Don't know what flashcards and worksheets Mark has got on the site, but here are some ideas for presenting and or practising - use flags, car registration plates (I mean the one with the country code on like I for Italy) for matching activities, or pictures of people together with objects associated with a particular country (The Eiffel Tower, pizza, a cowboy hat etc). Places can also be used for a general knowledge quiz : Where's the Colosseum, Where are the Pyramids etc. You could tie this in with the ballot to find the new Seven Wonders of the World : http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php.
If you haven't discovered it yet visit their website - you can get an awful lot of teaching mileage out of it. The places can be used to teach countries, but are also good for passives The Taj Mahal was built in (can't remember offhand), The Great Wall of China can be seen from the moon etc. Or with advanced students you can use the descriptions that are actually on the site.

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:43 am
MES-Fanatic!

Nice you mentioned those pictures, Susan. Last semester a vocational school invited me to teach a number of lessons to "late-teenagers", many of them not very interested in learning English. The teacher told me the topic was "Travel", and left it at that, pretty wide open! (I'm from a working class family who couldn't afford to travel anyplace.)

I had no idea what level these Ss were at. Fortunately, I chanced upon that 7 New Wonders site you mentioned, and printed up 24 big cards, each card starring a different famous site.
They randomly picked a card, and simply had to describe what they saw on it, and if the other Ss chimed in to help someone out, then fine, they were speaking English. After they had described the photo, they guessed where or what it might be. Many of them recognized the portrayals, but a number of discussions emerged when they weren't exactly sure. "That looks like .... because ...." They also talked of places they've visited, what they've liked or not liked, zoomflashblinkyoureye, the hour was over before we could finish.

Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:59 pm
MES-Member

Post thanks
thanks so much for ur helpful ideas . that's really great. i dont know even how to express my gratitude. thanks for helping me out.i'm sure that will productively work.

Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:36 am
MES-Fanatic!

To teach countries i use a big political world map on the cork board. Students pin the flags of the countries they know (instead of flags you could use pictures of people , all those on Mark's site are great).
Later on, you could use the same map for a guessing game: one student takes a picture a country flag/nationality and the rest tries to guess what country it is. They ask Are you from... ? You could limit the number of questions to make it difficult (ig. only 10 questions). It's a great way to teach continents too. One of the first questions could be ig. Are you from Europe? Then the students know which area they are limited to.

Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]