MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
How do you teach body parts? 
MES-Zealot!

Post How do you teach body parts?
Mark has some super sharp body parts flash cards and worksheets on this site. He mentioned that he doesn't do bingo with body parts, because he uses the exercise game. (By the way mark, could you give some examples of that, I am not sure exactly what you do there)

Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes is popular and covers 8 body parts, but it has its limit.

Other than just drilling flash cards, what do you do to teach these to kids?

Secondly, what grammar do you usually tie to the vocabulary?

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Post Body Part games
You can do a Simon Says type game (ex. touch your head, touch your feet, etc). I normally play a pictionary/drawing type game: Divide the class into 2 teams and call out a body part, whichever team can draw the body part first is the winner. This drawing game is fun for the kids but I must warn you some kids drawings will be crazy looking but that's what makes it fun ( I just don't give points to the pictures that I can't tell what it is)! You can either give a point to the winner or have them roll a dice for points. If they tie then you can give both teams a point or have them do paper, rock, scissors in English.

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:03 am
MES-Member

Draw a friendly monster or alien on an A3 sized piece of light card. Give it three legs, six arms, four eyes, five ears or whatever. Cut it up into jigsaw type pieces with each part of the body that you want to focus on on a different piece. (The pieces don't have to be "traditional jigsaw shape)

In class, distribute the pieces amonsgst the kids. Point to one and ask "What's that?" - the child replies "It's an ear" or whatever, comes to the table and puts it down. In turn each child says what their piece is, comes up and puts it in position until the jigsaw is complete.

Divide the kids into groups and give out sheets of A3 paper. Each group draws their own monster/alien and cuts it up as before. They then pass their jigsaw to the next group.

The pieces of the jigsaw are placed faced down on the table. In turn, each
child in the group picks one up, says "It's an eye" etc and puts it in position on the table to create the jigsaw.

They can then exchange jigsaws again and repeat the game with the jigsaw of another group - or you can take in the jigsaws and give each group a new one in the next, or a later lesson, to revise.

If the kids are too young to be able to draw the monsters effectively, or if you don't have enough time, then draw extra ones yourself. You could also just do the outline and get them to colour it.

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:01 pm
MES-Zealot!

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify. This particular group is 10-12 years old. The 12 year olds are getting "too cool." When I taught body parts at another school we used oxford's English Time and the grammar tied to body parts were "My foot hurts" "My feet hurt" etc. I don't want to use that grammar with this group yet. Some have already learned my your his her with family members, but that was a year ago. I'm just trying to think of something different. I like the monster idea. I did something similar before, but just on the white board.

Keep the ideas coming.

Thanks
Steve

Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:58 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

For young kids, I just have them 'Touch ~' during an exercise activity. So, we cover them receptively for a long time.

I don't really have a target language that goes with body parts at the time, but I guess like English Time, I use them for health language. When I reach my health set, we review body parts again and talk about what might be broken or cut.

I also review and use them with 'have' for characteristics.

'He has blue eyes'
'She has a big mouth.'

For a fun game with older students, I like to set them up into two to three teams. I draw a circle on the board for each team. The circle will represent the face.

Then, I blind fold the first member of each team. Their team members draw a flashcard and tell the poor blind folded soul what they have to add to the picture.

It's sort of like Pin the Tail on the Donkey.
I call it Draw the Body Part on the Student.

You can have them add adjectives in and ask the drawer to draw 'long hair,' 'strong arms,' 'little hands,' 'short legs' and 'a really big nose.'

The older students have fun with this and tend to cheat less. They like the way the pictures turn out all messed up. It's a good laugh.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:49 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

I often devide the class in 2 and preteach opposites like long/short. Big/small
after doing heads and shoulders etc or just a "Touch your ....." TPR warm up
I give them a worksheet with 6 faint outlines of bodies (numbered 1 to 6)and say (starting from pic 1) team one draw a big nose, team 2 draw a small nose etc
and repeat for other body parts
and at the end have fun looking at all the strange people

it works well but not all kids are into drawing

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:44 pm
MES-Zealot!

So far, I have done the following. (Using Mark's Body vocabulary set divided into two groups, above and below the neck)

Class one - Vocabulary introdcution with flash cards
Class two - Vocabulary review with flash cards and the body spelling worksheet (the super easy one) . TPR introduction
Touch your ...
Nod your head/Shake your head
Scratch your neck/head/ear
Rub your eyes
Open/close your mouth/eyes
Blow your nose
Wash your hands/face
Brush your teeth/hair
Comb your hair

Class three - Vocabulary review with flash cards. TPR game. I did some silly stuff like hurting various body parts and screaming comically "Oh, my ....."and grabbing it. Just clowning. We played Say Theirs for the first time. It worked better in my smaller class. In the bigger class, I am not sure how to make sure everyone can see the cards that are being drawn. Ihave 10 students in little individual wing-arm desks.

Well, that's it so far. In the next class I am going to start the second half of the vocabulary and go from there.

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I sometimes do that with number revision and the younger students have to draw a monster that has.... five heads, three legs etc. There are lots of variation to it, they can throw a dice for number and select a card for body part.

I also though about something else but haven't tried yet: The idea is some of TWISTER that they have to touch their nose with right hand finger, left ear with right knee etc and then stand still, the first to move loses ... I haven;t thought it through yet but have some general ideas :)

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:01 am
MES-Zealot!

Put your.... on your...

head / left knee

right hand / right foot

left elbow / nose... (that isn't possible)

mouth / shoulder

finger / toes

left foot / right knee

it might work...

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:56 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

I teach the song "If you're happy and you know it, Clap your hands/ slap your knees, shake your shoulders, shake your elbows, blink your eyes etc.
It's the first song I teach when I start a class. Then later, much later, when everybody has assimilated the language, I add the reading and writing part.
Another good song for body parts is Hokey, Cokey (You put your right hand in/ you put your right hand out etc) . Kids have fun doing the "dance" to this song.

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:31 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Very nice listening for body parts is the song from the musical "Hair" "Ain't got no". The teacher can hand out the lyrics with the names of the body parts blanked out and the students can fill them in while listening to the song.

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:20 am
MES-Member

Post "picture dictation"
Hi everyone! Picture dictation is something that has always worked with my students. I usually play it on the blackboard (they love it!). I make variation according to age group and knowledge. You can utter the word for them to draw, or you can give out some clues withous saying the word, you can say the number of letters the word has, etc.
It can be played individually, in teams or everybody against the teacher!! And I can assure you this could be real fun.

enjoy!

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:21 pm
MES-Zealot!

I have used Mark's worksheets now and have also played 'Say Theirs' a couple of times... still getting them used to the rules.

I am using Uno cards, so I have skip, draw two, and reverse in there and wild cards.

I also played a game where I laid all the flash cards out on a table and put an uno card underneath each. Each student called out a body part and I fliped the card over and gave them the uno card. They added the total points of their cards to see who was the winner.

These are the modern wordless uno cards so skip looks like a circle with a slash through it and reverse looks like two arrows going in different directions. Well gotta go, but will make this short skip cancelled all their points of the same colored cards, draw two doubled the points from that color and reverse could be traded with a card of the same color of any other player. it was fun

Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:52 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

One fun activity i have with my kids is the Touching game. You need two sets of pictures/flashcards: body and room/furniture ( or colours). All cards are placed in two piles. Each student picks a picture from the body set and one from the furniture set and says 'Touch the carpet with your hair'. Then he is to perform the action and preferably say 'I'm touching the... with my...' . It's fun, makes them laugh a lot at some weird combinations.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]