MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
People/Jobs reading suggestion 
MES-Addict

Post People/Jobs reading suggestion
I included descriptions of the jobs, because I thought this reading should help the students remembering the jobs and who does what.

One day, our teacher told us to write homework about what do we want to be when we grow up. I have all straight A’s at school, but I didn’t have an answer to this question. Anyway, I had to write my homework.
So I decided to ask my mother, what is it like to be a doctor? She told me that it is a very responsible job, because a doctor is a person who gives medicine to the people, so they can be healthy. And she even needs help from a nurse, which is a person that helps the doctor by taking care of the sick people in the hospital. That was true, and even my aunt has a responsible job, because she cures little puppies and cats and all kinds of animals, because she is a veterinarian.
I went to see my father, he is very brave, he is a firefighter, and he fights fire whenever there is something burning in the city. He told me that he sometimes helps in other situations, like this one time, when a little boy was flying his kite in the park it got stuck on a tree, and my father went up the ladder and gave it back to the boy.
Then I went to see my old grand mother. I asked her what the best job in the world is.
She told me: I was a cook, I used to make delicious cakes for children and I used to prepare even more delicious meals for all the people that came in my restaurant. Your grand father was a mailman, he used to deliver mail and cards to the people. Your brother is a pilot, he flies planes from one country to another, and your uncle is a policeman, he catches thieves and makes sure that everyone is safe. But you… you can be what ever makes you happy!
As I was on my way home, I was thinking… When I grow up, I could be a famous singer, and sing in front of a lot of people, I could be an actress and act in famous movies, I could be an astronaut, and fly in a rocket in the space, I could be a farmer, dentist, dancer, barber, waiter… but for now, I want to be a happy child, a devoted student and a loving daughter. Again I got a straight A, because my teacher got the idea that the future will come, but I have my childhood only now.

What does a doctor do?
What does a nurse do?
What does a veterinarian do?
What does a firefighter do?
What does an actress do?
What does a singer do?
What does an astronaut do?
What is the girl’s mother?
What is the girl’s grandmother?
Who delivers mail?
Who catches thieves?
Who flies planes?
What does the girl want to be?

A cook makes delicious meals and cakes. T/F
A mailman catches thieves. T/F
A nurse cures animals. T/F
A firefighter flies planes. T/F
A doctor gives medicine and takes care of people. T/F
A pilot flies in a rocket. T/F
A policeman fights fires. T/F
A singer sings. T/F

Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:31 am
Site Admin

Great reading script! I think that will be very helpful. Teachers can cut any job descriptions or change them to simple language if they need.

I might even have a group I can use this with pretty soon. they've been working on describing what different occupations do at their jobs.

Thanks for that!

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]