MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
printing problems with MES-English.com resources 
Site Admin

Post printing problems with MES-English.com resources
Some of the files are very large and require time for download, especially if you're on a slower internet connection. Please be patient when downloading.

If you don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you will need it ( www.adobe.com ) to veiw and download the files.

If the page is loaded but you can't view the page on your screen or it appears garbbled, you may need the newest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. I'm using Adobe 7.0 to make the resource files and some people have had problems with earlier versions of Acrobat Reader. www.adobe.com

If the files are blanking out on printing but are fine on your computer screen, it's probably an incompatibility with Adobe and your printer's print drivers. You can solve the problem by choosing print as image from the advanced print window. This will send pixilated data to your printer and will take longer to print. (It is possible to go to your printer's web site and download and install new print drivers but that's a bit of a drag and not a 100% sure-fix.)

If the file continues to time-out and never loads, you have probably encountered a data transfer error. Unfortunately that error will continue to cause downloading trouble. Rebooting your system is the only fix for that. The only fix that I know of anyway.

If you continue to have problems with any files let me know.

Happy teaching,
Mark

Last edited by mesmark on Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

First just want to asy thanks for all the flashcards and games you provide. They are extremely helpful so thank you!
I am having a problem with printing some of the large flashcards. I've had this problem recently with the country cards and the animal cards(the panda, the monkey, and a few others). When I try to print the large cards, there is a large grey colored box behind the main figure on a few cards in the set. I had a feeling it might be a problem with the school computer but when I tried printing at home I got the same big grey boxes. Any ideas how to fix this?

Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:21 pm
MES-Fanatic!

I also had that happen with the animal flashcards for the handout and small game cards. The whale, eel, panda, lobster and small areas of the shark, hammerhead shark, sheep, rhino and killer whale.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:10 pm
Site Admin

Are the files fine when you view them on the computer?

If yes, I'm going to go with:

You can solve the problem by choosing print as image from the advanced print window. This will send pixilated data to your printer and will take longer to print.

I'll look into it but generally that's the problem.

Let me know what happens if you do that.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Actually Mark, when I view the files on the computer, the grey squares are there. Even if I try to refresh the page, they still appear. Any ideas?
Could it be because I'm using Japanese Acrobat software? Erinjk is in Japan too so just a thought...

Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:00 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Well when I view the files, they are fine on my English computer and on the Japanese computer at school...
Unfortuantly, I can't read the Japanese on the computer at school to do what you suggested Mark, but I'll take my computer to school on Monday and see if I can hook it up to the internet and try from there :)

Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:45 pm
Site Admin

well... I tried printing them again in 2 places and they printed fine. The images for the animals files are saved as a different style. I was trying to decrease file size when I did it but it didn't really work (they're 4MB each.) I have since figured out how to get the file sizes down and may go back this summer and resave all the files and remake at least the large flashcards.

One other possible fix is to try downloading the newest version of adobe acrobat reader If the files are showing gray areas on the computer screen, then the reader is unable to translate the data correctly and that may be an older version issue.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:46 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

My JR school computers must have an older version of Adobe as they don't print the pictures on the handouts/cards properly. But at my school office they print fine(and of course on the slowest printer in all of Japan) :lol: .

I could always see the pictures, no gray areas, on all the computers, so it must just be the program to printer problem :)

Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:18 am
MES-Member

Mark, I am desperately trying to save some of these files so that I can print them from another computer but it's not happening! I wanted to download all the sheets to do with 'family' but have only been able to save a few of them. Most of them do not allow me to save them. (If I go to 'file' I find that 'Save' and 'Save as' are greyed out. If I try to right click on the file to save it, all I get are 'Settings'. Please help! There are some great materials here and I'd like to use them!
essc

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:50 pm
Site Admin

Please help! There are some great materials here and I'd like to use them!

Send me an email, and I'm sure we can get those resources into your classroom.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:35 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

I still admire what you've done, Mark, with the flash paper. You have significantly saved your site from download managers and you have protected the art in your clipart license.

Don't let the kinks get you down.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

First of all i would like to thank-you for all your hard work putting this site together! :D It's been very valuable as i have only just started teaching and am still unsure of everything.

My problem is that I only have the internet at home so I do all my research there, but alot of the files I need wont allow me to save them. I usually save files onto a usb and take them elsewhere to print them. Is there anyway to save a macromedia flash paper file? Or do you have to print it straight away?

Thankyou in advance for your time.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:11 am
Site Admin

My problem is that I only have the internet at home so I do all my research there, but alot of the files I need wont allow me to save them. I usually save files onto a usb and take them elsewhere to print them. Is there anyway to save a macromedia flash paper file? Or do you have to print it straight away?

Kuroii - Welcome to the forums and I'm glad the site has been helpful.

Unfortunately, no, you can't save the Flash Paper files. You need to print them straight away.

Are you talking about the grammar or talking worksheets?

Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:45 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Post Re: printing problems with MES-English.com resources
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but when some worksheets are generated, they are off by a few centimeters. This throws the worksheet off.

This happened on spelling and reading worksheet.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Post Re: printing problems with MES-English.com resources
aureli101 wrote:
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but when some worksheets are generated, they are off by a few centimeters. This throws the worksheet off.

This happened on spelling and reading worksheet.

I think this is because it as Firefox, but I have not tried using MES-English in Internet Explorer.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next