MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
flashcard broken links 
MES-Member

Post flashcard broken links
Hi Mark,

Followings are broken links that I found in flashcards:

(removed by admin but links fixed)

Thank you

Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:41 am
Site Admin

Thanks for letting me know about those. I fixed them all.

I removed the links you sent because I don't want to keep bad links, even in this manner.

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:17 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

Hey, let me just chime in here, because I saw the post before the links were deleted. One of the things that is generally not good for the site to just download everything. It's likely you won't need most of what Mark makes. We often think "Wow, this is great stuff, I'm going to download it all and I'll have it just in case the lesson comes up." This ends up using a bit of bandwidth and costs more money.

No one needs all of it, and if they do, they are probably going to need a license from Mark, because it will be more than 50% of your classroom materials. Anyhow. Mark. I hope I'm not out of line. I just wanted to discourage excessive downloading.

Peace :smt004

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Site owners have to pay for data transfer (aka bandwidth.) I pay monthly fees to keep this site up and the biggest factor is the amount of bandwidth. So, if users could limit downloads to what they need or might soon need that would really help.

By all means download anything you need or might need, but please don't just download everything and anything. It is free for the users, but it costs me money in the end.

The site will always be free. Please don't worry about access.

smy2brazil wrote:
We often think "Wow, this is great stuff, I'm going to download it all and I'll have it just in case the lesson comes up." This ends up using a bit of bandwidth and costs more money.

No one needs all of it

I don't even use all of it. :P

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:48 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

I don't get it - coz I'm one of those Pre-Computer Beings. Does that mean everytime I look at one of Mark's handouts or medium flashcard sets, etc, he has to pay for it? That'd be awful! Or does it mean whenever I save a copy on the computer, he is paying for it? It is good that smy2brazil pointed this out. I'll surely think twice before ... whatever.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:24 pm
Site Admin

Any time you come to the site, there is data transfer. All of the images and information you see on your screen, comes from the server I rent. All of the information is transfered to your browser. So, every page you visit and file you open uses bandwidth.

This is perfectly normal and all sites function this way. The average guest will come get the information or printout the resources they need. They might browse a few they don't really want, check out some recently added resources, or open up the file and then decide they don't want it. That's fine. That's the way the site is designed to be used.

Most website owners sign up for a server on different leveled plans. Cheaper plans give you less bandwidth. For more bandwidth, you need to sign up for a more expensive plan. I have a certain amount of bandwidth with my provider. If I exceed my bandwidth, the site would technically shut down, but in reality, I will just have to sign up for a more expensive plan.

So, if someone comes along and decides they are going to try and download everything just because it's free, need it or not (both color and b/w,) it eats up my bandwidth, slows down the site, and makes me sad.

That's basically the reason there's no download library and why you can't right click anymore.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]