MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Teach poems to to beginners! 
MES-Member

Post Teach poems to to beginners!
" Love me"
Love me in the spring ,when it is all green and new.
love me in the summer,when the sky is so blue.
Love me in the autumn,when the leaves are turning brown.
Love me in the winter,when the snow falls down.
To teach this poem , ur students should be at least familiar with the four seasons,some colours& the simple present tense.of course u can adapt the poem . u can ,for example, say (when the leaves are brown &when the snow falls down instead . u can replace the subject pronoun "it' by the word"nature"..).u can use visaul aids of the four seasons to demonstrate the meaning.i think it will be better if u make this poem a listen-and-fill-in-the-gap exercise.i mean u can write the poem on th board without some words like(the sasons& some colours)& make ur students listen & complete the poem . ! i've got the second part of the poem if u want to teach adjectives.
gooooooooooooooood luck

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:09 am
MES-Zealot!

I have used poetry with high school students quite successfully. At first the students want to get out their electronic dictionaries (aren't they great!?!) and try and translate every part. But I tell them just to listen to me as I read it, slowly and with heaps of expression. The students can follow by looking at the words, but sometimes I just want them listening. I want the students to "feel" the language, it's patterns, and how it flows, rather than understanding every single word.

Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]