MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Reducing Japanese used in a classroom 
MES-Member

Post Reducing Japanese used in a classroom
I teach a lot of private lessons in Japan. I had one mother recently bring a concern up in my older elementary class recently. She thinks the kids are using to much Japanese in my class when they think out loud. She wants them to try and think in English more in the lesson which is a good point. My only problem is kids that only take a one hour lesson a week dont get much out of the lesson unless they apply it in the real world. Any suggestions to try to cut down on the kids speaking so much Japanese. I am thinking about key phrases they use to translate them to English such as " How do you say this..." . Thanks

Craig

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:34 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Reducing Japanese used in a classroom
Craig - Welcome to the forums! :smt006

There is some benefit to moving toward an English only classroom. It makes your students try a bit harder to communicate in English, and it can be done. I've done it successfully with groups that only come once a week.

I'd suggest listening to this podcast where Eric and I talk about moving a class to English only:
http://www.eslteachertalk.com/2006/05/c ... classroom/

and then this podcast that goes over my experiences with applying the above to one of my classes:
http://www.eslteachertalk.com/2006/06/t ... revisited/

let me know what you think after listening to those. I'd love to continue the conversation.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]