MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
How many of you teachers give presents/prizes? 
MES-Zealot!

Post How many of you teachers give presents/prizes?
I was talking to a fellow teacher and this subject came up

so I would be interested to know .....

How many of you teachers give presents/prizes to your students?

and if you do ..... what do you give them?

do you have any rules (or your self or otherwise?)

please share

:mrgreen:

=========
I do not give anything .... no materials things anyway

as I have some larger classes and just got into the habbit and it seems to work for me (???)

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:33 pm
MES-Fanatic!

I used to give birthday presents to my students at the first school I worked at, since I only had 30students!

And after every class I would give out stickers(that I had brought from Canada) if they had done a good job.

Recently, it's just stickers after we play games.

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:27 pm
MES-Fanatic!

I used to give small stickers for those students that tried hard but now that I go to about six elementary schools, I have a huge stamp set and I stamp an English Point Card that they can color in.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:15 pm
Site Admin

I give out stickers to game winners in my private classes. I run through about 10-15 stickers a class. It's a little expensive because I use really stickers not those spot stickers. But I don't give away any prizes for attaining a certain level of stickers.

I've given out stamps before but the kids want to do it themselves, they get all messy and I just don't have the patience for that.

I enjoy a good time but I'm a little picky (my wife uses a different word :shock: ) about my stuff getting dirty.

For large classes, I give out a whole lot of pride. :wink:

Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

At first, I never gave out prizes because I hope/think that verbal praise and the students' own satisfaction with learning/ a job well done is enough. However, I came to realize that many Korean teachers at my school give candy to students who achieve high marks on a test, etc. So, I started to give out small pieces of candy for prizes, too...I see it as a symbol of a job well done, and some students share this sentiment, but otheres just want the candy for its own sake, of course :D
Generally, if there's a game like Bingo, I ask the students to write their name on the board when they win... One point for each win, for example. At the end of class, I give the highest (or three highest) scores candy...maybe 3 pieces for first place, 2 for second place, etc. But, I change it up... depending if I'm running low on candy, etc. I have 25-40 students in a class, so this works out well for me. I found a giant bag of candy-- about 300 pieces for $4, which it lasts me a few months.
I hate the thought of bribery, but I like the thought of a reward, and the candy prizes have helped me bond even more with some classes, as an indication that I care about them...or maybe they're just sweet 'cuz of all the candy... :P

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:45 pm
MES-Zealot!

I give out a few sweets occasionally to the winners of certain games, but I tend not to do it too often. I do, however, like to give the students a little reward at the end of each term or semester. The older kids (junior high and up) really appreciate getting certificates (easily printed from the internet) with personal messages from me, eg. I pick an area in which the student has improved in and highlight it. Sometimes it's hard to find something to write for certain students!! :? Last term I had some kids who didn;t fit any category, so I made certificates anyway with comments like "best pitcher in the baseball game!" or "most polite" etc. It doesn't need to be about their English ability. The kids do like them and appreciate the effort it takes me to make them.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:10 pm
I give prizes in the classroom in a variety of ways for a variety of reasons. Sometimes the class just needs a “pick-me-up” or a little extra encouragement so I will offer the “winners” of whatever activity we are doing a visit to my prize box. In my prize box I have a ton of trinkets, stickers, balloons, etc. that I’ve picked up on clearance sales. Even the older kids love this!

Sometimes I’ll offer extra credit (one or two points) to each person that completes a specific task.

I occasionally give out candy or treats, but if I do that it’s for the entire class as a reward for a job well done as a group (such as the entire class doing awesome on a test, everyone turning in a project on time or some other reason that they deserve to celebrate a bit).

Everyone likes to be acknowledged for a job well done, so I don’t necessarily consider it “bribing” to reward your students with tangible items on occasion.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:42 am
MES-Member

Post auction DAY
Hi,
I'm teaching at the Elementary Level in Québec. (CANADA). I teach ESL to first to sixth graders.

With my grade 3-4-5-6 students, I hand out money at each class. They can have money if they don't speak French ( mother tongue), if they participated, if they listened to the rules and if they did their homework.

Three times a year, I buy little surprises: bouncing balls, chocolate, candies, pencils, Mr.Freeze, etc...

I put ALL my surprises on a table and I start the ENGLISH AUCTION. I ask them HOW MUCH for the starting prize and after that, they raise their hand if they are interested in buying it. They learn their numbers very quickly if they don't want to lose their prize.
They really enjoy it.

That the way I like it because I see my students just one hour a week. So I needed a system to keep them motivated. It works!

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:21 am
I teach at an Elem. School and my kids have a stamp sheet. Everytime they or their team wins they get a stamp. At the end of the school year I collect their stamp sheets and give candy/prizes to the students with the most stamps in each class (normally I pick 2-3 from each class). This saves me money from having to give a prize each time. Two years ago, I used to give out a jelly bean to each student who's team won. But the school that I'm at now doesn't want candy given out all the time so I just do the stamp sheet instead which seems to work well. Kinder, 1st grade and 2nd grade just gets my praise....that's all they need at that age! :D

Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:13 pm
MES-Addict

I have a couple of classes where I've made a sticker book for them - with about 60 spaces for stickers. (Quite a lot I know) I've been giving out stickers maybe twice a week whenever I feel I've given them a load of "learning" to do. I give a sticker to every kid regardless of whether they've participated well or not - they are only 7.
When I gave out the sticker book, I told them they would get stickers for good work and when the book was full they'd get a prize. Now when they see the stickers come out of my folder they get really excited and they don't seem to have the attitude to demand a sticker from me which I really like.

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:18 pm
MES-Member

i have just joined and was reading with interest about giving prizes and things, i teach in portugal and i have found as some others have that you can make a rod for your own back if you start giving out sweets and things :roll:
My kids love it when i let them play bingo or Simon says, well julie says :D The only time i give sweets is when we do an easter egg hunt in the classroom and they look forward to that all year long.
Anyway willl be in touch again soon
j.
________
TOYOTA GZ ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited by labrador on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:52 pm
MES-Member

I like to reward children with points/stars/smiley faces/stickers. I think it is important to show children you notice their efforts. I also like to give out certificates for the children to take home when they've done a great job. I am reluctant to give out sweets however (except on special occasions). As a parent myself, I would prefer my children not to be given too many sweet treats.

Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:17 pm
MES-Member

I agree with Juliette and never give sweets as a prize. The last thing children need is to have sweets elevated in their minds any further than they already are.

Also, don`t forget to find reasons to reward or praise even your weakest students frequently and regularly.

damon

Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:38 pm
MES-Zealot!

I have never given my students sweets etc

but I always praise them and shake their hands etc when the do a good job

they seem to like that or give "thumbs up" to older ones

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:55 am
MES-Addict

Well, what I normally do is write my students´ names on the board (I just have between 6 and 10 per class) and whenever I consider they are working well and behaving I write a check mark next to their names and if they misbehave or do not work well they get a cross. After 3 check marks I give them a candy....which cannot be eaten in class though. And it has worked out well so far. This gives them a little motivation and they concentrate a bit more than usual.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next