MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Teaching Methodologies - Suggestopedia 
Site Admin

Post Teaching Methodologies - Suggestopedia
Listen to the show.

This week’s show is almost the end of our teaching methodolgies series. Today we offer … Suggestodepia

We cover:
    * what suggestopedia is
    * how does a suggestopedia lesson run
    * the principles of the method
    * what are the main benefits, claims, and criticisms of the method

We’d definitely like to hear what you think about the method. Post them here at the ESL Teacher Talk forums. Ask questions or leave comments about the show.

Thanks for listening!

Game of the Week: Guess the Question
A simple warm-up activity reviewing question formation for older children through to adults. You simply need a piece of paper, some students, and you the teacher just need to prepare some structure. It’s a good activity for pair work or group work.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:29 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I once attended a workshop on suggestopedia.

What I found very useful was the use of baroc music, such as Bach for example.
This type of music is said to , let's say, influence the brain waves, and the effect is that it makes the brain 'calmer' and you can get rid of any disturbing thoughts better.
With me it works very well. After an exhausting day I lie down on the sofa and listen to Bach. The brain relaxes gradually and afterwards I feel refreshed.

But what can it do for the learners?
I once tried it with adults. At the end of each day of an intensive week course I played that music for them and revised the topics with some short explanations what we had done during the day.
Some students liked that very much and said that they could remember the topics better over quite a period.

With children I could very well imagine that you could play the music as a background actually during the lesson and see whether it works and if the children can remember better.

Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]