MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
ESL textbook for advanced middle school student 
MES-Member

Post ESL textbook for advanced middle school student
Hi everyone,

Kind of new to the site! its great BTW.

I'm in a little bit of a bind and was wondering whether anyone here could give me some advice?

I have a 1-on-1 student, 11 years old and his English is quite advanced for Chinese - the best I've seen for his age.
I'm having real trouble with finding a good ESL book that will be appropriate.

The last book we just worked through was kid's box 6 and it wasn't much of a challenge for him. I had to adapt the lessons quite a bit, just so he could learn something new. I've considered the most advanced book in a number of book series including: cambridge for young learners, superkids, my discovery island and more - none of which seems to be challenging enough.

I'm looking for something that will be both be challenging and interesting for a kid of his age. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:43 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: ESL textbook for advanced middle school student
If his English is fundamentally sound (grammar) then I'd try some graded readers, instead of textbooks. That would give the student more vocabulary and hopefully build to reading more interesting topic/books on his own.

What is it that you are looking for in a textbook? More advanced grammar? higher level vocabulary?

Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Post Re: ESL textbook for advanced middle school student
Mark,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to graded readers. Could you elaborate?

I am not focusing too much on grammar - when I observe grammar deficiencies, I sometimes take a few minutes to explain some grammar points. He gets it pretty quick also.
The English he seems most interested in learning though, mostly has to do with the various different meaning of specific words.
For instance last week we encountered a sentence that went something like this (I'm paraphrasing): "he used to hang around farms where crop circles have previously been reported, hoping to spot an alien".
We spent a good half an hour dissecting the sentence and doing activities for difference ways to use 'hang', 'spot' etc. (multiple choice; sentences where the word 'hang' or spot was omitted and you had to find to the correct place in the sentence to put it in in the correct for - hang, hung, was hanging; pictures where you had to make a sentence using 'hang' or spot etc.) Crop circles also elicited a good conversation.

I suppose some reading comprehension material will be good, but also looking for some interesting and challenging activities to go with it. ...and perhaps appropriate topics for his age.

I only teach kindergarten and primary school students. I have in fact never encountered a student as advanced as he is, so this is somewhat out of my comfort zone. I was thinking maybe I can use high school level ESL books, but I have no idea which ones are good... any thoughts?

Thanks
Leroux

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]