MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
MES Blocked by Korean Gov't 
MES-Member

Post MES Blocked by Korean Gov't
Mark

I writing you in total distress! I realized today that the Korean Gov't., due new copyright laws and filesharing laws, has blocked me from using MES at my school in South Korea.

I know that it is blocked because I can use the site at home, but not at my school.

I don't know what you can do, but please try to appeal to them as your website only enables Koreans to learn more English! It is totally ridiculous that they should block your site.

I'm teaching in the Chungnam Province, and the Ministry of Education is Taean Office of Education.

Please help if you can!

All the best,

Greg Young

Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:22 pm
Site Admin

Greg - Thanks for letting me know. I've received a couple emails about problems in S. Korea but I've still been getting visitors. It was a little confusing for me.

I'll be back in Japan after Aug. 15th and will have time to look into this. I'm glad the Korean gov't is cracking down on file sharing sites.

If anyone has any information on who to contact to get a site 'white listed', please let me know. Then it will be easier for me and I can probably contact them sooner.

Happy teaching,
Mark

Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:36 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I've contacted the Korean Communications Standards Commission and they aren't blocking the site.

Does anyone have any information about who might be blocking the website at the school level?

Last edited by mesmark on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

I have noticed that it is blocked at school. I can access it without a problem at home but at school I get either nothing or what looks like an official government page. Unfortunately no one speaks good enough English at my school to ask about why or who is blocking it. I will try and ask a Korean speaker what the error message says and let you know.

I am in a different province to the original poster so if it is regional it is more than one region.

Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:08 am
MES-Zealot!

I am in Japan and I know my work place blocks various sites
I don't know how they decide what to block? and sometimes a blocked site is OK a few weeks later

hhhmmm?

Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:35 am
MES-Fanatic!

OK I checked again today. I don't know if this is helpful information for you or not.

On my computer when I try to get to mes I just get a blank screen. I use firefox.

On the two school computers which use IE (unfortunately!) I get directed to the following website

warning.or.kr

This page says National police agency on one side and Korea Communications standards commission on the other side and it looks like it has some phone numbers listed on it.

Sometimes visiting other sites I get redirected to a different page. I think this is for sites that are blocked by the school.

Maybe this will help track down where the problem is. It is very frustrating as both me and the other English teacher at my school use MES resources a lot as they are so good.

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:43 pm
Site Admin

All of that information is very helpful. Thanks! It's good to know what's actually happening there.

I assume this is a Bord of Education level block that has something to do with their SafeNet type software. Something on MES must be triggering their alarms. What it is ...? Who knows?

For now, anyone who can will need to have the site 'white listed' with the administrator. Basically you'll need to ask the Board of Education to authorize www.mes-english.com .

I'll see what I can do on this end. I have a friend who seems to know what I might be able to do. We'll see.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

I don't know if it is something that you have done but it seems to be possible to use MES at my school in Korea now. It was definitely blocked before but now it seems to be working fine which is great.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:51 pm
MES-Zealot!

Occasionally, this kind of problem can be solved by using a non-standard browser. A good choice is Opera ( http://www.opera.com/ ). It's a good browser, but only used for about 0.5% of the world's browsing activity. It's free, so you have nothing to lose by downloading it and keeping it on your computer just in case.

Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:37 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I've contacted the Korean Communications Standards Commission and they aren't blocking the site.

Does anyone have any information about who might be blocking the website at the school level?

I would think it is maybe a firewall setting on his school server. Ask them to look into that first.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]