MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
BOOKS for ELEMENTARY SCHOOL 
MES-Addict

Post BOOKS for ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Do you read books to your elementary school students? If so what books to do you read and which ones do you recommend?

My schools (in Japan) are fortunate to have a large budget for English resources and they have all ordered the "APRICOT Picture Book" series. They are "big books" with great pictures and are written with specific English goals in mind i.e. color, counting, what's this etc. They are written by Japanese authors and come with optional cds for song ideas and there are workbooks as well.

Other books that I recommend are:

Pretty much anything by Eric Carl. His books are colorful, imaginative, repetitive and best of all - simple!!

Yo! Yes? by Chris Raschka -this is just a simple 'one word at a time' exchange between two boys, it teaches students about intonation.

My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes by Eve Sutton - a fun way to teach verbs and countries.

No David! by David Shannon -or any others by the same author

Please add to the list. I am always looking for books or "big books" for my schools to order!

Thanks,
Linea

Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:17 pm
MES-Addict

I only have a few books, but the most popular by far is Go Away Big Green Monster by Ed Emberly.

It has facial features, colours and really groovy pictures. My 3, 4 and 5 year olds love it. And while I don't ask them to read with me, they often do anyway.

Some of the 2 year olds and young 3's find it scary so I like to warn the kids first that we are going to read a SCARY book! :shock: At which point they usually say they are not scared (and think that I'm a sissy-boy).

Dan.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:09 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Eirc Carle's books are great (the very hungry cattepillar, brown bear, and so on).
I also use Ladybird 'Read it yourself' series with popular tales in 4 levels. They go together with a cassette, are nicely illustarted and using language suitable for young learners. The only problem is that the books are guite small, so I enlarge them to A4 or A3
The other great Ladybird series is the 'Lift-the-flap' books with animals and their body parts.
I often use non-English children's books and invent my own text ;)

Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:28 pm
MES-Addict

When I need to buy a book I buy it from the Cambridge English Readers serie. They have all levels of Modern, original fiction that students like.
For the younger ones I always try the Cambridge Storybooks, with books like Five Green Monsters, Four Scary Monsters, Hickory Dickory Dock,
Incy Wincy Spider, Looking for Dragons, My Dog's Party... They are nice and at the same time help with traditional chants and stories.

Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:51 pm
MES-Addict

Post books
For very young learners there are two essential: "the very hungry caterpillar" and "polar bear what do you see?"
With older ones "three billy goats gruff"
And the oldest they can choose their own from Heinemann publishing.

Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:20 pm
MES-Addict

I find myself using the "I SPY" series in my classes more and more. They are great for colors, shapes, vocab, "I see a ~", "Where is the ~?" etc.

The students really enjoy them and they're are relatively cheap to buy online.

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:50 am
MES-Fanatic!

try the spot, he is a puppy, series. it's a lift the flap series of books kids love it.... I choose kids one at a time to come up and knock on the flap and lift it... then all the other kids have to say what's under the flap... very fun for the chillins.....

Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:17 am
MES-Addict

try the spot, he is a puppy, series. it's a lift the flap series of books kids love it.... I choose kids one at a time to come up and knock on the flap and lift it... then all the other kids have to say what's under the flap... very fun for the chillins.....

I like the SPOT books too, but I haven't been able to find them in 'big book' format.

Does AMAZON Japan have big books??

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:04 am
MES-Addict

On the site http://www.readinga-z.com/ there is a great variaty of books for leveled readers. In addiction there are thousands of printable teacher materials to teach guided reading, phonemic awareness, reading comprehension, reading fluency, alphabet, and vocabulary.

Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:13 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

ON www.learningpage.com, a site related to a-zkids, there are free Tommy Tales, the stories about an eight year old brave kid and his friends who have found a robot that can transport them anywhere in the world, and in time they wish to go. Each book has worksheets and fact files and I haven't had a student yet who hasn't loved them.[/url]

Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:41 am
MES-Zealot!

Pretty much anything by Eric Carl. His books are colorful, imaginative, repetitive and best of all - simple!!

some of his books are simple but some maybe confusing for ESL young kids (unnessarily difficult words)

he uses words for native speakers, eg a "Boa constrictor" instead of just "snake" or "braying in my ear"

but the pics are great

Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:22 pm
MES-Member

Post Re: BOOKS for ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Ooh, some very useful tips in this thread. I like to end my teaching units by reading a story so I'm always looking for useful ones. I have tried a number of books, too, that turn work out so well (at least not for me!) so it's helpful to have specific recommendations.

My favorite book for kids who can speak a little English (2nd - 3rd grade) is Dr. Suess' "Green Eggs and Ham". Because of the repetition and pictures they can follow along. And as opposed to Eric Carle, whom they all know since he's been translated into German, Dr. Suess is and his crazy drawings are a novelty. I imagine his books can hardly be translated. "Hop on Pop", "One Fish, Two Fish" and "Mr. Brown can Moo, can You?" can also be used, at least in parts.

Another great one that works from KG to 3rd grade is "Old Hat, New Hat" by Stan and Jan Berenstain.

"Funny Face" by Nicola Smee is great for emotions. The faces are so expressive.

Richard Scarry's illustrations in "I am a Bunny" make it a great pleasure for the youngest children.

My KG kids love an illustrated story of the "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" - also because they get to act it out as I read it. I could use more like that - repetive stories that we can act out together. A bit of slapstick doesn't hurt either.

Anyway, I certainly think this is a thread worth resurrecting and I hope some more people come by and add to it.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:53 am
Site Admin

I have a bunch of favorites, but I only ready books to 6-7 year-olds and younger, mostly because I have limited time with my older students and we need to focus on other things in class.

Melanie Walsh books are great. Simple and fun for younger kids. Big and Little, This to That are 2 of the top of my head. These are great for very young students

Hug by Jez Alborough is a cute book with just 3 words.

I have a few Berenstain Bear books. I often use Old Hat New Hat, The Spooky Old Tree and Inside Outside Upside Down.

Dr Suess books are good. I like Go Dog Go, Green Eggs and Ham, Hand Hand Fingers Thumb, and In a People House.

Leo Lionni books are great. I use Little Blue and Little Yellow in class.

Gossie and Friends books by Olivier Dunrea are fabulous. They have simple stories and great pictures for discussion, as well as cute characters. I use "Gossie". "Gossie and Gertie" and "Bobo" in classes.

I have also been using Shark in the Park by Nick Sharratt. and Pete the Cat, I love my white shoes by Eric Litwin. They are fun books and the kids like the repetition in them

Thu May 10, 2012 12:46 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I use some of the books you've already mentioned but I love books by Julia Donaldson and Axel Sheffler
e.g. Monkey Puzzle, The Gruffalo, A squash and Squeeze etc
They are beautifully illustrated and always present a sort of problem to be solved.
However for very young learners I like Rod Campbell books, e.g Oh Dear!, ABC Zoo, Noisy Farm, Dear Zoo.
:)

Fri May 11, 2012 4:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]