MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Hello after a long time! :) 
MES-Fanatic!

Post Hello after a long time! :)
Hi, I just dropped by to say hello and see how everyone is doing. It's been four years since I last posted in this forum and I have nothing but the nicest memories of it.

I am not teaching in China anymore, I had to return to my home country of Serbia back in 2014. because of some health issues I had had. Are teachers from Asia still here?

Mark, how's the situation in Japan? :D

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:12 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Hello after a long time! :)
Ivan's - Great to hear from you! Sorry to hear about the troubles but I'm glad that you're going to be back at it soon.

Things are good hear, quiet but good. Personally, I've been pretty busy. My wife went back to work 4 years ago and that has kept me off the computer. However, I've still been working on different projects. Hopefully, I'll be able to share some things soon.

The plot right next to my house came up for sale about 4 years ago as well. We actually bought it, because if we didn't they were going to sell it to someone that wanted to build a new house on it. It was just weeds and so that has been a big project. I enjoy getting out of the house though. Picking weeds and tending to the garden gives me a lot of time to think :-D

I'm looking forward to hearing more about how things go there. Keep us updated!

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:04 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

Hi Mark! Great to hear from you again. I tried sending you a PM but somehow that wasnt doable. You seem in good health and doing fine in general. I wished to ask you for your advice on one thing...about moving to Japan.Could you please tell me if I could possibly find a job in Japan? In some private kindergarten or some place like that? Do you know if the Japanese would accept a non-native speaker?

I know the situation there is not like in China regarding the demand for ESL teachers, but could I make it somehow?

Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:01 am
MES-Fanatic!

I stopped teaching three years ago and right now I am working at a call center...but I would like to get back to teaching again

Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:00 am
Site Admin

I know I seem like a good person to ask, but I actually know very little about the possibilities here. However, there are quite a few placement agencies and if you are not particular about the place or work environment, I think there may be plenty of options. There is a big website here called gaiginpot. If you search for that and look in their jobs section, I think you should be able to find something.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:09 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

Thank you, Mark! It seems that there is not much chance for a non native English speaker, but I can try anyway. I hope your language school is doing well and you have become rich by now. :-D

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:21 am
Site Admin

There is a lot of competition right now. With less jobs in the US etc. more young college graduates are looking for other oportunities. There also has been a big surge in speakers from Asian countries where English is a first language. It may be a little difficult but it always seems like schools are looking for people. April and August are the main hiring periods.

Rich in family, friends and health. :D still working on the money thing :roll:

My English school is doing OK. But, I have picked up some work at a local university. They are growing so there is some potential there. My wife went back to work a few years ago, so I needed to scale things back a bit to help out more around the house. But, things are great here. I'm just going at other projects a little slower these days.

Let us know how the job search goes.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:43 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

Thank you for your reply, Mark, it is great to hear that, generally speaking, you are doing well. You have health, family and friends. :D

There is a number of schools out there in Japan but it seems that all of them are looking for native speakers and some serious credentials. I have taught in China and you know how wild and unregulated the teaching market is over there. Anyone can get a job in China as loong as they are white faced and have at least some knowledge of English. It seems to be the opposite in Japan.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:26 am
MES-Fanatic!

Hello, after a long time again! I have a thousand questions but first and foremost I hope that you are doing well. The forum has been very quiet but I think that significant help still could be gained from this place, as it always was the case (for which I am most grateful). I should be back to teaching after a long break so I hope we will be able to exchange experiences and advice and be each other's support once again. Mark, please check your PM, I have sent you a pretty urgent message. I hope that you are merry and healthy and doing well in general.
Hope to hear from you. Many thanks

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:58 am
Site Admin

I'm glad to hear you are back to teaching.

Yes, forums are pretty quite everywhere these days. Most people have moved to FaceBook or other social media sites. But I keep all the old posts and this forum up in case some of the information is useful.

I do pop in here once a day or so, so please feel free to post any questions. I'll do my best to offer any insig that I can.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your new teaching job.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]