MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
speaking assessment: feedback to posted game 
MES-Member

Post speaking assessment: feedback to posted game
Hello fellow teachers,

I am currently teaching at a boy's middle school in busan. Next week, I need to prepare students for a speaking test (grade 7) 13 years olds. For some reason, I am at a complete loss about what I should do. They have twenty questions which they should be familiar with from the textbook lessons. 10 of these questions will be pictures. They will have to look at the picture and describe what is happening. For e.g. how does the dog look; possible answer: it looks hungry.

Other questions, which don't require a picture prompt are as follows: (1) Excuse me..How much is this shirt/cap....students are expected to come up with a possible answer, much like: it's 8/12/25 dollars.

(2) What will you do this weekend: I will go....

the questions are so varied, and I am accustomed to planning for one target phrase, so this is out of my depth. If anyone can offer some much needed advice, it would be very appreciated.

thank you,

So I am planning on doing the following activity. It would be of great assistance if anyone could give me feedback on how to address the identified problem:

1) write down all the conversation questions that are going to be on the speaking test
2) put the students in groups of 4; give them about 15-20 little pieces of paper/group. (make sure each group doesn’t have the same questions

3) Then, the first student picks a random card (without first looking), and then picks a random student in their group to ask the question to. Correct answer, they keep the paper and get a point. Incorrect, the questioner gets a chance to answer. Correct, they keep the card and get a point. Incorrect, it goes back into the pile. The winner is the student with the most points.

POTENTIAL PROBLEM (must find out a way to monitor whether the answers that students give are correct or incorrect; maybe have all the questions in the same orderI will monitor 5 groups/ and KT will monitor the other 5)

Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:14 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: speaking assessment: feedback to posted game
It sounds good to me. The first problem I see is where students choose a random student to ask the question to. This may take time for students to choose, or may end in students selecting the same people over and over again. It might be good to have a way to choose who is asked. For example, you could have 6 in a group and use a dice to select who is asked. You could put numbers 1-4 on each card and give each student in the group a number. So, if I picked a card and it had a 3 on it, I would ask the question to student #3. (There is a 25% chance that I would be student #3 and have to answer my own question.)

Managing the groups and all of the answers is always a problem. There really isn't much you can do. However, the students can serve as pretty good feedback. After all they all have to be able to answer the questions, so there is incentive for them to try to answer each question individually. They can discuss the answers that were given and work together to form a good answer to the question. If they don't feel comfortable with the answer, they can call the teacher over to confirm whether the answer is correct or not.

You could have them write down the answers on one sheet of paper per group. Then, you could go around from group to group and check the answers that way. However, it will take more time for them to write the answers down and their speaking practice time will be limited.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]