MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Outdoor games 
MES-Addict

Post Outdoor games
Hi everybody!
I'm looking for some games that can be played outdoor on warm days.
I have used hopscotch, and Scavenger Hunt, and TicTacToe, but could you suggest any other games, please?
Thanks in advance for sharing your ideas!

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:57 pm
MES-Member

Post Re: Outdoor games
Some obvious ones are Mother May I? and Red Light, Green Light. (Somewhere on this forum are suggestions for how to adapt Red Light, Green Light to different language tasks). Mother May I could also be adapted. They ask if they can take however many giant steps or whatnot and the "mother" can add a condition that they first say something in the target language.

You could also just take your group on an English Walk. (I'm making this up right now adapting it from a game I just started playing with my kids because we always have to walk from the school to a different building for English). You can decide on vocabulary or target language that is fun and easy to practise outside. We just work on naming things we see. "I see a house." "I see a car." But this could be made more elaborate. Anyway, I give them "points" for the things they name in English. They each get a small bag or baggie and I have a bag full of very small polished rocks which I purchased quite cheaply online. We walk a ways, I ask a question- either "What's that?" or "What do you see?" and if they answer correctly they get a point (a little rock in their bag). In my game we are actually in the middle of a dangerous journey through volcanic terrain to the "Forgotten Temple" - I described this on the "Teaching" thread under the post "This is Gold". The fantasy element is very fun for the kids and allows them to make up different names for things. (Houses are volcanoes, streets are lava rivers etc.) Also it allows you, the English teacher, to add in some TPR elements. "Uh-oh we have to cross a river. Take off your shoes!" Etc.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:58 pm
MES-Addict

Thanks for your ideas!
Especially an English Walk seems fun.

Tue May 01, 2012 7:15 pm
MES-Member

I have been doing a lot of classes outdoors lately because the kids really love it and the weather has been agreeable. Besides just grabbing a picnic blanket and some water and doing indoor stuff outdoors (like playing "go fish" and stuff), I recently played a simple game at a small local playground with them which they enjoyed.

I did this with a small group of first and second graders.

We designated the swings as "water," the slide as "sky" and a hill as "land". I had a number of flashcards along from nature, transportation and animals and I would make statements that were either true or false. For example: "Fish are in the water!" This is true and so all the kids were supposed to run over to the swings (water). If the statement was false: "Submarines are in the sky!" They were supposed to come back to "home base" where I was standing. This was very simple and I was surprised at how much they enjoyed just running around all over the place!

I don't need to add this for an experienced teacher like you, akalichanka, but just in case new teachers are reading here - this game can be adapted for any kind of vocabulary and you can have more than three categories. You could do a house with a living room, kitchen, bathroom or whatever. You could have the stations be body parts and you make statements about clothes. Colors and fruits - anything. And obviously you don't have to do this at a playground or even outside if you have a big enough indoor space. Also the kids can take turns making the statements if they're up for it and you want them to use the language actively.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]