MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Some games to help you! 
MES-Member

Post Some games to help you!
Hi! I hope this might help some of you. I have many games,so I'm trying to post it all.

Speed Word(Vocabulary Review)
Target: Elementary/Middle School
Write every vocabulary words for review twice on the board(inoder so the kids will be confused). Try to group them into two.Team A should circle the word and Team B put an X. 1st pair should be standing face front with students and on their back to the board. Then count to three and say the word"--", then go!Each one who found the word have the point.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:41 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

jmcjang - Thanks for the game idea and welcome to the forums!

It's always great to have some new ideas bounced around. I can't wait to hear about the other games you use.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Thanks Mark! I appreciate it,I will post here every spare time I have. :-D

Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:51 pm
Profile YIM
MES-Fanatic!

Good game. I play a similar version where the students have to slap the word - I play it both with hands and with flyswatters. The fastest team gets the point.

I usually get volunteers to write up the words first as well.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:28 pm
MES-Member

Post noisy class
i did a variation of that game once and the teacher in the next class over asked my to stop because my kids were so noisy.

they were having too much fun acording to the other teacher.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:24 pm
MES-Member

Post Games
Marco Polo with a Blindfold

This is a game that can be used again and again to practice a simple question and answer pattern. For example, students are learning to ask and answer:

A: Do you like spaghetti?
B: Yes, I do./No, I don't.

Have "A" wear the blindfold. She asks: Do you like spaghetti? Others must answer: Yes, I do. / No, I don't.

"A" tries to catch somebody by hearing the voices to determine their location.

Variation for MXM or semi-private - have both wear blindfolds.

Typical Problems: 1. Lots of screaming and nobody answering; just escaping without saying a word. 2) Crashes; 3) Students hitting the blindfolded student.

Other Q & A examples:

A: Where do you live?
B: I live in Hillsdale.

A: How old are you?
B: I'm 63.

A: What's your phone number?
B: None of your business.

A: How tall are you?
B: I'm 114 centimeters tall. (super hard - but keeps them speaking a long time so they are more catchable).

A: Is your mother pretty?
B: No, she's ugly.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:17 pm
Site Admin

I can see some insurance issues might cause caution but I can also see how it would be a lot of fun. Thanks for the game idea!

Do you play regular Marco Polo with them one time first or just go right into your version?

Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

After demonstrating and practicing the question and answer, I just go right into it.

One kid did bang his head pretty hard on the table. Darn kid had no idea what he was supposed to do. This was for a demo, too. Luckily, he signed.

Now, I make sure they know to use their hands as curb feelers.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:36 am
MES-Addict

Post Re: noisy class
malkhoo wrote:
i did a variation of that game once and the teacher in the next class over asked my to stop because my kids were so noisy.

they were having too much fun acording to the other teacher.

I know that feeling. Have often had the National teachers (math, Chinese etc.) in the next room bang on the board to let me know it is noisy. But then again I have also had Chinese English teacher from the next class (higher level then mine) come and ask me why all her students come into my class in the breaks. - "Because they want to learn the Knock knock English songs as well as look through all the great A4 size (MES) flashcards I use in my class" I tell her hahahaha - true story

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:08 pm
MES-Addict

Post Plinko
I got the idea for plinko from another post on the site. I made many small cups and wrote a point value on each cup. Then I put the cups on a desk. I put another desk in front of the desk. The kids get to bounce a ping pong ball on the first desk to try to get it in to the cups. They need to bounce the ball at least once and many kids figured out that if it bounces more than once it will not knock over the cups. The best part of this game is I have three balls. I select one student and ask three simple questions that kids usually answer incorrectly; such as:

Do you like apples? - Yes I do. (most kids will answer yes I like, or yes I am)

Of the three questions, however many they get right is how many balls they get. The kids really try hard for each answer because they see a direct result to the number of balls.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:33 am
MES-Addict

Great game ideas. I really like the Speed Word game for vocabulary.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:03 am
MES-Member

Post Re: Some games to help you!
I teach little kids mostly (3-5 yrs and some elementary) and we play a version of this speed game. After they have learned the letters and are somewhat familiar with them, or if they are elementary and need a refresher on the letters, I write them all up on the board, big and small, very scrambled. Then I divide them into teams and call one kid from each team to the board. I say "Big/small (letter)" or something that begins with that letter and the first one to slap the letter wins. They love it.

I've done it with older kids for spelling practice too. Just make sure nobody's in the next room :)

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:10 pm
MES-Addict

I think it's a good idea to use these games outdoor. Here in Poland spring has come and everybody feels like going outdoor.
So do I :) And that's why I'm looking for games with a lot of speaking for my outdoor classes.
I just need some chalk and words can be written on the pavement instead of the board :)
And we can play the blindfold game on the grass!
Thanks everyone for sharing.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:54 pm
MES-Member

jmcjang wrote:
Hi! I hope this might help some of you. I have many games,so I'm trying to post it all.

Speed Word(Vocabulary Review)
Target: Elementary/Middle School
Write every vocabulary words for review twice on the board(inoder so the kids will be confused). Try to group them into two.Team A should circle the word and Team B put an X. 1st pair should be standing face front with students and on their back to the board. Then count to three and say the word"--", then go!Each one who found the word have the point.

This is a helpful suggestion. Would try this one out in the class very soon. :) Thanks.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:41 pm
MES-Member

Post Re: Games
bigbird wrote:
Marco Polo with a Blindfold

This is a game that can be used again and again to practice a simple question and answer pattern. For example, students are learning to ask and answer:

A: Do you like spaghetti?
B: Yes, I do./No, I don't.

Have "A" wear the blindfold. She asks: Do you like spaghetti? Others must answer: Yes, I do. / No, I don't.

"A" tries to catch somebody by hearing the voices to determine their location.

Variation for MXM or semi-private - have both wear blindfolds.

Typical Problems: 1. Lots of screaming and nobody answering; just escaping without saying a word. 2) Crashes; 3) Students hitting the blindfolded student.

Other Q & A examples:

A: Where do you live?
B: I live in Hillsdale.

A: How old are you?
B: I'm 63.

A: What's your phone number?
B: None of your business.

A: How tall are you?
B: I'm 114 centimeters tall. (super hard - but keeps them speaking a long time so they are more catchable).

A: Is your mother pretty?
B: No, she's ugly.

Hi,
Me and my students (I do home tutor to 2 kids of age 6 and 9 in China) try a lil bit different,
Our rule is: the one who was blindfolded can move 3 steps to catch(students cannot move away from their current positions), if failed, they can move 4 steps away, then repeat questions.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next