MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
conversation classes for kids using stories/acting 
MES-Member

Post conversation classes for kids using stories/acting
Hi, I've been asked to do a block of 6/7 lessons (10hrs roughly) focusing on just oral/conversation work with a class of 10/11 yr olds. The teacher wants me to base it around possibly a fairy story or similar that we can explore, adapt and then put on as a short 'play' for the end of year party. The lessons will be 1.5hr long but I'm at a loss at to where to start and how to spread this out over the lessons - taking into consideration that it's only oral work that needs to be focused on and not actual 'teaching' of grammar/written work etc. I think their spoken english will be very limited so am unsure even as to how to fill a 1.5 hr session at the moment! Can anyone give me any guidance/ideas? Thanks.

Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:45 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: conversation classes for kids using stories/acting
Yeah. It sounds like a tough assignment. 90 minutes is hard for kids that age and if you have just the one project, it will seem even longer.

I would break the class up into sections. Give them time to first select the story that they'd like to do. Then they could vote on the story. Once they've chosen a story, they should try to make the English for Act 1. You can help them after they have tried a bit. Once you have a simple working script, you can then practice.

For the next lessons, you can
- practice, revise the previous script and practice again
- write the next Act
- practice the Act you worked on that day

Something like that.

Have you started the classes? What did you decide to do?

Thu May 19, 2016 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]