MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
cannot gain class control 
MES-Member

Post cannot gain class control
Hi folks,

I've been working as an ESL teacher in China for a year or two, but I've never come across anything like this:
I've recently got a new class with 3 kids aged 8 and 9. 1 of the kids is actually interested in learning while the other 2 just start talking in Chinese to each other or playing with each other. at best I get about 30-45mins of teaching out of 1,5hour before they break loose. I've tried everything I know of to keep these guys motivated and under control but nothing seems to help.
any suggestions? please and thank you

Sun May 10, 2015 11:36 am
MES-Member

Post Re: cannot gain class control
I can totally relate to what you're saying. And I know how frustrating it feels when you're doing all you can to settle the kids but still nothing seems to help. Back when I used to teach elementary school, I was generally a teacher to around 30+ kids in one classroom. The rowdy ones had to sit right in the front row at all times so that I could keep a much-required eye on them. Since you mentioned they are 8-9 year-olds, I would suggest you begin your class with something they find novel - just to capture and hold their attention for once. Something as simple as popping a marshmallow in your mouth, puffing up your cheeks and the kids following suit. Or else just make it a rule to begin your teaching lesson with a quiz, because the kids will probably not pretend that it's an excuse to talk and pass notes during the quiz. Make sure they know they'll get a big zero on it if they do.

Thu May 14, 2015 3:20 pm
MES-Member

Post Re: cannot gain class control
Hi Cheryl,
I am sorry you are having this problem. I had the same problem with my class of 10 students. I had two boys that were brought in from Kindergarten and they could not settle down. They did not understand that school time was not play time. But, I quickly stopped it by explaining my class rules. 1) Raise your hand if you want to speak. 2) Keep your hands to yourself. 3) Be nice to others. These are my top 3 rules. I bought cardboard color "sale" signs (palm size) and picked yellow, orange, red. On Yellow I wrote "Warning 1" and I verbally remind them of the rule broken, on the Orange I wrote, "Remove Yourself from the Group" and I remind them it is the second time the rule was broken (I usually ask what the rule was) , and the Red "Go to Principals Office" (Or it can be "Note to Parents" or "Cannot come to class for 1 Day")... I have only given this out once and the student is supper nice now.

For 3 days, I explained the Rules and then questioned each student so I knew each student understood. Then I explained consequences and showed them the 3 colored consequences of their actions. If they do not follow rules 1, 2 or 3, they get the consequences. I have not had any more trouble. In addition, I have a Green sign that says "Good Job!" and I give it out when a student does something good without prompting....offers a pencil or eraser when they see someone needs it, carries my books without being asked, cleans the class or whiteboard without prompting...or anything that is good behavior. If they get the Green cardbord, they also get a small candy or new pencil or book.
I hope this helps!

Mon May 25, 2015 12:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]