MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
1:1 lesson with a 10 year old girl? 
MES-Member

Post 1:1 lesson with a 10 year old girl?
Hello...I'm new to the forum but I really need help. Yesterday I got a new pupil, she's 10 and has some basic knowledge (she attended a course for like 4 months). Anyway the trouble is that she looks pretty much pampered, I think she's too young to say exactly spoiled but...yes. I need a way to create authority because from what I heard of her she thinks teachers are almost equal to slaves. :|
Also I have almost no experience in this age group. I have another pupil but he's only 8 and things with him are really easy. But I don't know what I'll do with that new kid..any suggestions like activities? Is she too young to write small essays for example - My day- or such? :shock:

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:56 pm
MES-Member

Post Re: 1:1 lesson with a 10 year old girl?
I know the kind you mean and the trick is to let her know who's boss by being really strict with her at first, no compromises. After a while she'll settle down and you'll be able to ease off. With this age group, they always test the waters with how far they can go.
Talk to the parents and ask them what they will allow and not allow. If they won't let you raise your voice or giving punishment homework then you'll never get anywhere with this kid.
I work in a private school, so i know all about the pampered kids.
Best bet is talk tot he parents.
Hope it helps!

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:31 pm
MES-Member

Thank you, it actually worked, I already had 2 lessons with her and things seem to go well. However now I have another matter :D A 4 year old boy, totally obsessed with rally and F1 cars. Yes, that's right, he can't talk about anything else. Cars, only cars. I'm really confused..this particular age group seems to be the hardest to handle, and add that strong attitude and the short attention span when it comes to anything esle..any tips on 4 year olds?

Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:51 pm
Site Admin

10 isn't too young for essays but they need to have the ground work. They need to be able to write and spell to some extent. You can also give her example essays with gaps for her to fill in.

" Today, it was _______. It was a ______ day. I went to school and I studied ________. It was _________. After school, I played ______. I watched _______."

After a while you can get rid of more words and add other example phrases. Hopefully, you'll get to a point where she can create her own full essay.

Did you try it with your student?

As far as control, I'm strict like BB suggested above. If students don't want to listen or do what we're doing, I just tell them to go to the back of the classroom. They can keep dancing, singing, playing with whatever, but they have to do it at the back of the room. Meanwhile the group continues with the activity.

You are in a one-on-one setting, but it still might work to pause the activity and lesson and ask the student to leave the study area to do whatever it is at the time.

You do have control in the flow and progress of the lesson. I'm sure this student wants to learn and progress, so if you stop the class and pretend to care less whether she learns or not, it might get her to focus and take some responsibility. She might want to learn or she might just be worried about what her parents will think if she doesn't do anything.

Anyway, it's hard and very individualized. There's no one cure-all solution. Just keep at it and over time it should get better (as you said.)

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

4-5 year olds. Whew ... They are a tough group at times.

If he likes cars, then go with it. Focus your lesson around cars. Pick up a few Hot Wheels toy cars and then structure your lesson with the cars as learning props. It's great that he is passionate about something. You can use that to get him interested in the lesson.

So, if you were doing a lesson on colors, you could ask him about the car colors. You could ask him what color racing stripe it should have. If it was transportation that you are working on, have the toy cars race the other items. You can ask about which would win, which he want to race next. If you were doing shapes, you could use string and make different shaped race tracks for the cars to go around.
Animals - have the animals be the drivers.
Phonics - have the cars carry letters from one place to another.
People - have the cars bring them to work or home.
Feelings - The car is sad so he goes to the candy store. The car is hungry so he goes to the gas station.

You can spend a lot of time and make a great lesson with really cool props, cards, and things, but he's 4. He has an awesome imagination. You could just use blocks or something to mark positions. He can imagine the rest.

Hard to say, but you probably shouldn't give him control of the cars right away. He may just take them and go off into his own little world. It might be better to just use pictures of cars first. You could also have a little play time after each segment as a reward. You can also build up to fun activities by laying out your plan - "We're going to do these cards, these cards and then play 'the great car vs. animal road rally'!" That gets them goal focused and helps to get through some review materials or even new vocabulary.

With small kids, up to 5 or so, I always feel input is more important than anything else. You need to keep talking and repeating. Try to get them to respond to English via actions at first. It's not so important that they start speaking right away.

Keep segments short - 10 minutes or so. Then change to something different. You can even move to other sections of the room.

I hope that helps and gives you some ideas to work with.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:09 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I totally agree with mesmark. It's actually a good thing that he is so into cars. There is so much that can be done with the topic. I love this age group and when you know what they like it's a piece of cake to get them involved. I've been teaching this age group for 10 years and my son is 3 and also loves cars. What mesmark said is what i've done with my son and it works perfectly. (my son actually speaks more Chinese then English cause I send him to a Taiwanese kindergarten).
The only thing that i can really add is that this age group really only have an attentions span of 20 minutes. Then they start to act up. Do 20 mins, have a break - go to the bathroom, drink water, have a cookie, then start on a different area of English.
You could even use some of the board games on this site and use cars as markers if you wanna play a game.

Hope it helps

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:09 pm
MES-Member

Thank you so much, guys! I had an idea of what I should do but I couldn't really structure it in my mind because I have so little experience, but you really helped me. Those ideas are great and tomorrow I'm sure going to try some of them. :mrgreen: And yes, he's really like REALLY into cars..who knows, maybe I'm teaching English to a future pilot ;)

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:29 pm
MES-Member

Good luck! And let me know how it went.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:37 pm
MES-Member

How it went...hmm..I think "terribly" kind of sums it up :P He's is so hyperactive..I need to find a way to "cheat" him so that he does things I want from him...gosh..I needed a big drink after that lesson :P His attention span is less than that of a gold fish...

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:24 pm
MES-Member

Have the cars and some number flash cards. Try putting the cars around the room and ask him to run and find them. Say "go find the green car" when he brings it back say "put it on number 1."

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:26 pm
MES-Member

you're a genius :D

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:51 pm
MES-Member

Sounds like it worked

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]