MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
First day in preschool with 3y olds. 
MES-Member

Post First day in preschool with 3y olds.
Hello everyone, I am going to teach a class of 3y olds in preschool and I would be greatful for any tips on how to start . The children are non English speakers and there will be lots of crying involved on the first week. I will be alone in the class with 15 children and I can only use EL .
The day schedule is structured into 3 main parts : Circle time , Excercise and
Subject ( math, music ect.)

It should be something september or autumn themed.

I am not an English native speaker myself.

What do you plan to do on the very first day please? Thank you.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:12 am
MES-Fanatic!

Post Re: First day in preschool with 3y olds.
you can always teach them some songs. you have a great site with SuperSimple Songs, check it out.

I'm sorry, I used to teach that age group, but I had a textbook and lesson plans, so all I needed to do was to follow them.

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:04 am
MES-Member

Yes I am sure I will use songs a lot!
I also love songs from Patty Shukla.

I would love to know what books and lesson plans you used with little ones. Pretty pleaaaase! :lol:

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:07 pm
MES-Member

For the first few days its not important what you do or teach. Just let the kids get used to you. Be friendly, keep smiling, play, talk and interact with everyone as much as possible. I find being silly and making mistakes helps kids feel relaxed. Before the kids arrive I put all the toys in the middle of the room and get the kids to come and play together. Get them used to circle time, exercise and subject by teaching them the basics of sitdown, stand up, come here. Give lots of praise when they do what you want and before long most kids will copy the kids you are praising.

As for the content it depends on what materials you have in your room. For exercise I do song and dance, jump rope, throwing bean bags.

For Autumn theme I usally do some art work such as colouring pictures, sticking leaves on paper, painting the colours of Autumn etc.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:26 pm
MES-Member

Ok, so the first days were really chaotic :D
To be honest it all looked much easier in my dreams haha
I am very well prepared for my lessons, lots of pictures, activities, songs and they don' t mind me talking English to them when doing all the educational activities but in situations in between edu activities - when they enter the room in the morning I can say they are a bit unsure of what to do. They are fine during the day, they come and give hugs to me or hold my hand when going outside but becouse I have never experienced it before it makes me a bit frustrated :cry: It is probably only natural that they will prefer their native speaking teacher more and it must be really hard for them to be away from their mummy and stay with forein speaking person most of their day anyway.
Have you been in situation like this?
How long did it take them to get used to new language?

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:27 pm
MES-Member

I only have three tips: be patient...be patient...and be patient... :-D

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:48 am
MES-Addict

Hmmm, I remember... I had one class of 3 year olds also... Yes, for the first week or so, some will cry, a lot. You are strange to them, and somehow, they will know that you are not native to their country, so you are even more strange... Lots of songs at first will break the ice. Do not baby them. I have seen teachers who will hug and hold a chying child for the whole class and these are the ones who will cry longer as an attention getter. Don't punish them for crying either, or they will never fully open up in your class. Play games a lot and they will become more open. One I found useful in the "baby" class is Flashcard Jump (for lack of a better name).

As you teach a subject (colors, for example), lay your flashcards on the floor in a circle and choose one kid at a time to play. Lead the child to a flashcard and elicit the word from him or her. Then you both jump to the next card, and you do the same thing, and so on, until all the cards have been named. You repeat this with each child. Coach the other kids to also repeat the words so they do not feel left out while awaiting their turn.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:07 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]