MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Teaching alphabet to kindergarten 
MES-Fanatic!

Post Teaching alphabet to kindergarten
So I want to introduce the alphabet to my kindergarten students.

I only teach them in English without any translation so explaining things is difficult.

I am trying to decide if I should just go with the alphabet names or if I should go with phonics.

Do any experienced people have recommendations of which is the best approach?

I only see them for a short time so I don't expect them to remember the alphabet - it is just an introduction. My plan is that I am going to present 4 letters a day, and then play a game where they practice recognising the letters.

I am thinking that just letter names is probably the simplest approach but I am not sure.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:00 am
MES-Zealot!

Letters are abstract without writing or sounds. I teach them independently, but not as a block of the curriculum. I just write a-z and 1-11 on the board and sing the song with them once a class. (the one to the tune of twinkle twinkle little star.) I just go straight to 1 - 11 after Z. It is good reinforcement.

Mark has a great book series on this site called Fun Fonix. Try the starter book for your group.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:14 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

Hello, I have been teaching phonics to kindergarten kids in China for over a year now. Teach the kids "the alphabet song" first, it makes them memorize the letters much easier. Four letters a day is way too much for them, try teaching a letter a day better, but add some words that beging with that letter. Definitely make some letter flashcards for using in games. I'll check my textbook and get back to you with more ideas. :D

btw, how many classes do you have per week?

------
Here I am, back with more information. One idea for teaching the alphabet would be tracing the letters by touching them or doing the 'tracing' in the air, counting the strokes and describing your actions as you go (ex. "one line down, one line across" for L, "one, two, three, four" for E etc.). Some fun activities include writing the letters in toothpaste (or shaving foam), making the shapes of letters with peanuts (you have to have a letter template for the peanuts to be placed on) or making letter shapes with a rope, and "body letters" (where children lie down on the floor and make the shape of a letter with their bodies).

Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:18 am
MES-Fanatic!

I see the students for 20 minutes twice a week and I don't have enough classes left to teach only 1 letter a day (I might be able to fit in 2 letters a day). I have 30 students in my class ranging in ages fro 3-5 years old.

I don't want them to completely know the alphabet, I only really want to introduce them to it. I have no intention of teaching them to write the letters either only recognise them. However the making letters in different materials is a good idea.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:45 pm
MES-Member

Post Re: Teaching alphabet to kindergarten
One thing that has been really easy for me is to find different fun and colorful ABC chants and songs on Youtube. DreamEnglish has a chant that the younger kids love. They usually ask for it every class. The 2-3 year olds can recite the whole alphabet after some time with just the music/chant.

Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:17 pm
MES-Zealot!

Yes, I agree with Ivana. at that age I would go very slowly. Start with the ABC song and do a very simple activity (after going through the song once or twice)
Start real easy like getting one of the kids to follow the ABC song with a poster of the alphabet (its just fllowing in order so is easy to do). Obviously you would demonstrate it a few times 1st.

then assign some kid like activity to a few letters. ie on "E" JUMP and after "Z" shout "OK" etc

Then get the kids to see if they can see a letter in the roof or on a piece of clothing. "Can you see an A?" etc

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:21 pm
MES-Member

I make suggestions with my hands i can make them remember the letters within 10 minutes

A for Apple - pretend to eat an apple
B for bag - big up one of the students bag and run round the room with it then pretend to fall over
C for cat - pretend to be a cat then turn into an angry cat they love it
D for duck -flap your arms like a duck

Well you get the idea i normally just stick to 6 letters for about 2.5 hours of teaching half hours classes then change to the next six letters if i teach them twice a week then i teach them for 2 weeks the same 6 letters that is for K1 3-4 year olds .

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:54 pm
MES-Member

I usually use song for the best way to make them love learning alphabet, and to make them understand each letter I give them worksheet contains some picture, ask them to color it. Each day I give about 2-3 letters. It really works and make them fun in learning...

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 am
MES-Addict

A few resources that I use are: Flashcards that use a picture of something incorporating the letter. The letter "a" has an apple in the center of the letter, "b" is made from a banana, etc.

I also use the song: "Hip-Hop Alphabet" since the kids like it much more than the standard "A, B, C Song."

Then I will also use several other simple flashcards depicting words that begin with each letter, like a picture of a Zebra, Elephant, Cat, Dog, Egg, etc.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:15 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]