MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Mommy and Me Ideas 
MES-Addict

Post Mommy and Me Ideas
Oh Boy. I have a trial lesson with two 1 and a half year olds and their moms. It is a new experiment for me, but I think it could really help fill up my mornings and afternoons. Any ideas? Songs, story time, put the colored balls in the basket etc. Can they repeat? Is 45 minutes too long? I am thinking of about 15 minutes or so just "free play" and then some kind of lesson. Any help would be much appreciated.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:14 pm
MES-Addict

I don't "teach" any 1 1/2 year olds but I do have one at home.

He can't repeat words (unless you are teaching "do dah") but he does repeat actions, such as crawling and basic hand movements.

He really loves whacking things and putting wooden blocks on top of one another.

Songs would be a great idea, Baa Baa black Sheep and Twinkle Twinkle Little star (with actions) would work well.

He understands some commands, such as "stop", "close" and "down" and also is very happy to receive compliments.

The Ideas you mentioned (Songs, story time and cleaning up activities) should work well. You might find that a class will be basically 45 mins of free play time with some activities interspersed, or it may involve them just wanting to do the same thing again and again......and again.

I would also think that getting their mums to do some activities would be good. So you would be teaching them how to use English when playing with their kids that they can do at home as well.

Finally, the things that work will depend entirely on the kids involved, and things they liked yesterday may not work today (and vice versa). So have loads of activities ready so you can chop and change.

Oh yes! 45mins should be ok, although it may take a bit of time before they get used to you without their mums around.

Dan

Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:34 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Mommy and Me can be a lot of fun, but it takes quite a bit of trial and error to get it down to a science. :D The important thing, I think, is to have fun and realize that exposing the kids to the language is most important.

Mark (of this website) and I did a podcast on teaching this age group. If you have time, have a listen and hopefully you will get some ideas!

http://www.eslteachertalk.com/2009/11/t ... year-olds/

Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:41 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

What's for sure is that you have the most attentive learners possible with an amazing capacity of taking everything you have to offer them, and what is more, with a great willingness to do so. Just try to make good use of these essential features of your new tiny friends while enjoying the time you spend with them. The rest will follow, without doubt.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:19 pm
MES-Addict

Thanks for all the advice and support. Starts tomorrow!

Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:09 pm
Site Admin

I don't have classes that young. Mostly because the mothers stress me out. Many have unrealistic expectations of what's going to happen. This is a 100% input. Any output from the babies is a bonus. However, ...

They may not be talking in their native language yet. They should be saying simple words and maybe short sentences. However, some kids don't start talking until they are almost 3. So, expecting production might be hard. They require a lot of input, time and time again. When they are ready they will try to say the words. The mothers need to repeat and be the models for what they babies should be doing. The babies will see their mothers do something and do the same. It's best to train the mothers to do what you say, not try to get the baby to do it. After several lesson the babies will learn from the mothers what to do.

Books are good. Songs are good. Toys and things for them to touch, throw, put in something and play with. At this age they are destroyers, not builders. Just keep that in mind when planning activities. (I also don't use game cards, because when they put them in their mouths, a small part of me screams inside:) )

Let activities evolve into whatever the kids are interested in doing with the objects. Just because you planned to have them put the balls in the basket doesn't mean they will. See what they do with the balls and make that the game or activity.

Kids that age like to do the same things over and over again. They'll want to do the same thing you did last week over and over again. Just go with it. Change it slightly if you can but if not, that's fine. Just keep talking through the activity.

The biggest thing is just keep talking. Input. Input. Input. Verbalize what's happening and repeat over and over what they are doing or working with. Do many of the same things over and over again. Encourage the mothers to try the same activities at home in a more comfortable environment for the babies. Be encouraging and supporting.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I am overwhelmed as usual with the support and the quality of responses to my questions and can't thank everyone enough. As far as the classes, well..., since I posted 2 became 3 kids and everyweek so far one of them has been sick. So we are still waiting for the "big day". I just thought it could be a good way to get a bunch of kids in a class, like 6 or 8 kids, in the morning. I have a Japanese woman who could help out as well.

Thanks again I will put these ideas to use.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:23 am
MES-Member

Post Re: Mommy and Me Ideas
I am also going to teach babies and I am going to do it the " Sparkabilities way"
www.sparkabilities.com.
The lesson starts with flashcards and ends with some physics activities. Perfect for babies.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:55 am
MES-Member

Baby sign language is really good, for the mothers too since they're just simple words and commands. Easy to remember.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:05 pm
MES-Addict

Hmmm, I taught two and three year olds for a while, and they love all the little kids songs like "twinkle twinkle," "The ABC song," "The ants go marching," etc. Try to use the ones with the videos if you can. They also love brightly colored flashcards. Any teaching activity that gets them moving so they can feel like it is play will keep them happy and learning. Do not insist that they sit in their seats for long. It will never happen.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:44 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]