MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
High Town and Little Town 
MES-Addict

Post High Town and Little Town
So, I made a set of the High Town cards for my school- they're lovely, they must have taken you a lot of time to put together. I did notice two errors, though, that I don't know if anyone has pointed out before- the characters Jo Quinn and Jennifer Leonard have email adresses that match other character's names.

Also, as I was making them some of my younger students saw them and said they wanted to try- I'd love to get the link to the Little Town cards for them. It looks like I have enough posts... barely... :-D

As always, thank you for all of the work you do!

Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:13 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: High Town and Little Town
Maia wrote:
So, I made a set of the High Town cards for my school- they're lovely, they must have taken you a lot of time to put together. I did notice two errors, though, that I don't know if anyone has pointed out before- the characters Jo Quinn and Jennifer Leonard have email adresses that match other character's names.

I'm glad the cards came out all right. Actaully those did take me a really long time. I think over a year, but a lot of that was me being really picky and tweaking the layout over and over. Then once it was decided I originally couldn't reproduce the template to amke new characters. Then, I'd just give up at times for weeks and then come back and try again later.

Anyway, in the end, I got them done. I know there are a few mistakes (as I have them on my cards as well :P) I hope to get in there and correct those some day. Thanks for letting me know about them, though.

Maia wrote:
Also, as I was making them some of my younger students saw them and said they wanted to try- I'd love to get the link to the Little Town cards for them. It looks like I have enough posts... barely... :-D

As always, thank you for all of the work you do!

No problem, check your private messages.

I hope the Little Town cards go over well.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Thanks a bunch! I figured you probably already knew about those cards, but I figured I'd be on the safe side.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:21 pm
MES-Addict

I also just made a bunch of Big Town cards and used them for JHS students.

They really like them. The teacher's card 2 was very useful as an aid to put up some questions on the board so that some students could refer to them if needed.

I sort of played the game with a "baba nookie" style. In Japan, it means that when cards are won/lost, the one who holds a bogie card at the end of the game is the loser ! I think there is another name for this game in English but I don't what it is called !

In my case the bogie card is......yes Mike the alien because he has no Nationality. But I made a few of these alien Mikes so during the class game, these aliens were floating around. But no-one is going to admist they hold an alien, theyjust want to win the conversation and give away their bogie card.

At the end of the class, the students with the alien bogie cards have to sing the school song or the national anthem in front of everyone !

I cannot recall seeing Little Town, how do I get these ?

And a little later : I've just found out you need 25 posts or more to get the Little Town cards. Are these similar to Big Town ?

I am going to print out High Town and try these cards for upper Junior High classes.

PS : Ooops I've seemed to commented on BigTown in this High Town /Little Town thread. Hope this is okay. I didn't realise this until after I posted.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:53 pm
MES-Addict

It should be fine- your ideas for Big Town would work just as well for the other two games, I think. I like the "Baba Nuki" idea, and no, I can't remember what it's called in English either.

The Little Town cards are good for kids who don't read- instead of saying "soccer" the cards have a picture of a soccer ball. The characters are kids, so the younger kids identify with them more easily. I use them in 3rd-5th grade, and use High Town for the 6th graders. I haven't tried using them with 1st or 2nd graders.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:33 pm
Site Admin

It should be fine- your ideas for Big Town would work just as well for the other two games, I think. I like the "Baba Nuki" idea, and no, I can't remember what it's called in English either.

Old Maid :D

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

These Big Town cards are an absolute hit with my kids. They just love the vampire, ghost and Rip van Winkle. I use them as a treat when the kids have worked particularly well.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]