MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Dictionary/Word List maker? Little help? 
MES-Member

Post Dictionary/Word List maker? Little help?
I've been looking around for a free tool, and having a bit of trouble finding it. I can't sum it up with a name, but these are the things I need to do:

-have definitions already available (preferred, not necessary)
-set tags on words (such as "grade 6," "insect," "biology," "noun," etc.
-generate word lists based on tags or combinations of tags
-add new words

That's not really that much, but I haven't been having much luck in searching. I guess I could sum it up as a dictionary-maker wherein I can edit the search terms of individual words.

Does anybody know of such a beast? Does it exist?

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:17 pm
Site Admin

Interesting idea, but I don't know of any such program.

My guess would be to check some online dictionary sites and dictionary widgets.

However, I assume if anyone has a program like this, it will be quite random and may not be that usable. You'd probably be better off creating your own database in Access and grabbing your word lists from there.

In what context would you be using this?

Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I'm an ESL teacher, and I need to go through about 20 vocab words per week. In addition to this I have a few projects I'm working on in which generating word lists would be useful (still to the same ESL end). I'd like to be able to mark words that are appropriate for certain age levels, or to certain topics.

I could also create one, but I don't know how to do that either, other than manually putting the items into a table, but then I don't know how to set-up tag searching and list generating.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:18 am
Site Admin

I believe you could create your database in MicroSoft's Access program. I've never used it but I'm told it's a database program.

If you do plan to do it yourself, I would suggest doing it online. If you have a friend would can set up a simple database file for you, you could get started. It's pretty easy. You would just need a php interface that lets you add your entry to the database and include attributes.

I guess it's not that easy. You'd also need a separate interface that allows you to search that database and draw up your words based on the attributes you select.

However, once you have your database of words built up, there are many things you can do with that if you wish. You could also sell it (multiple times.)

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:48 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

A friend recommended Excel, but I don't know it well enough. I have a couple other friends who code, and since it's more or less just a flashy dictionary, I'm hoping one of them can throw it together for me. I've drawn up a bunch of notes and sketches, but have yet to corner a coder to see if it's simple enough to do as a favor. :)

Although financial stability is mixed up somewhere in my goals, I need this as a straight tool for bigger and better projects, and don't think I'd want to sell it as a stand-alone thing. Although the difficulty I had while searching for anything even similar tells me that it would be quite valuable. :D

Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]