MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Paper game is my -your- best! 
MES-Addict

Post Paper game is my -your- best!
I've been using mostly Bingo, Get Four, Paper Game(!!), Big Town, your talking worksheets and Criss Cross Bingo -but without the dice. As I've already said I renamed the game to "Secret Square". The kids were thrilled. After 20 years of teaching I think it's the first time I've seen 6-7 year olds talking to each other for a long time without me in the middle...Thank you. :)

Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:37 pm
MES-Zealot!

With a lot of the games I use the kids don't us the target langauge unless I am at their table (I usually have 4 groups playing at one time.) They will just be throwing down the get'em cards or moving their pieces around the board but not asking questions are talking.

However, the paper game goes over well. I've only used it a few times, but it's been grand so far.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:16 pm
MES-Addict

I have to go on a printing/cutting/laminating frenzy and get all these games and activities prepared. Maybe I should have an arts and crafts class where I get a class to cut all these cards and stuff.
Give them 1 point for every sheet they do. Hahahaha! That would make my work so much easier, and that way they feel like they are making the games and will be even more excited about playing them :)

Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:43 pm
MES-Zealot!

If you have the students do it keep an eye on them.

Some of my students came to class ealry once so I asked them to help me. They were 4th graders so I figured cutting out the rectangular shaped small flash cards shouldn't be beyond them.

One girl did a great job, however the boy at the same table put several sets together and cut them all at the same time. Needless to say he butchered the cards. Luckily that was a b/w set.

Also even after I explanied and showed them how I wanted the laminated cards cut( leaving a small frame of plastic around the edge of the card so they don't peel open) they still cut them to close and I had to laminate them again.

If you have the students help turn it into a speaking activity by having the students say what they are doing and also walking around and asking questions about the pictures, games, cards etc. If you do this and the director/principal walks in they won't get upset and think you are having the kids do all your work.

Your probably right the students will get excited about playing the games if they are helping to prepare them.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:55 am
MES-Addict

Hahaha, yes, I can just see them cutting them all up the wrong lines too.

Well, I can also use rewards. Who gets them done the best, exactly like I have them cut, they get extra points. That'll give them incentive to pay attention.

Thanks for the pointers.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:46 am
MES-Addict

I have my kids do the cutting. I made lamenated 400 cards (10 per page). Then I gave them to 2nd graders to cut them out. They did a terrible job, but it was good enough for that class, and I had them cut with a lot of room to spare. Then, over the next weeks, I just went back over and cleaned up the really bad ones. I also printed a few more than I really needed, so I could just discard the ones that couldn't be corrected (none were that bad though).

Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:34 pm
MES-Addict

Post Flashcards
I love flashcards and games and I reccommend doing the cutting and laminating yourself as the quality of the cards if you do them yourself will always be better than if the kids do it. Once they are done they can be used forever so it's worth having them done properly! ;) It's work for life! Although you do need space at home to store away all your resources. I've got a room full of books and cards myself! :)

Happy teaching

Sun May 17, 2009 5:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]